Wednesday, August 26, 2009

North to Alaska




We spent last week aboard the Island Princess cruise ship sailing the inland passage of Alaska.
In a word, it was AMAZING. Seriously, the BEST time I've had in a good long time.




We rested
We learned
We were entertained
We met some new people
We had many great chats with one another
We explored the ship including three ports of call
We spent two days floating among glaciers which dwarfed our ship
We were waited on hand and foot by the staff of the ship
(which would have included massage of our hands
and feet at the spa for a significant price)
And of course, we ate, and ate
(and ate)
And we celebrated our 30 years as husband and wife
and enjoyed every minute we had together.

We gained a new appreciation for the land to the north, the 49th state to join the union. Alaskans refer to where we live as "the lower 48." I really had no concept of how BIG Alaska really was before this trip. It's HUGE. Oh, and I've been around longer than Alaska has been a state. Seriously. She just turned 50 this year. Wow, I'm older than Alaskan dirt. Check out this video to see what I'm talking about. It's wild. It's awe inspiring. It's unique in every way possible...there are glaciers the size of some of the lower 48 states. Amazing, don't you think? Oh, and just to warn you, I'm going to be stuck on Alaskan posts for awhile.






5 comments:

Eileen said...

I can't wait for ALL the posts! Bring it on!!!

Kylee said...

I'm so jealous and so happy you guys were able to discover the greatness of Alaska! I want to go back there so bad and I'm glad you had a good time. I can't wait to hear more.

VFR said...

Who is that good-looking guy with you on the boat? Seriously, it was a great trip, and you were the best company. I loved it, and love you.

Lee said...

How fun! That sounds awesome, and i'm excited to read and see more about your great vacation. Maybe Mike and I should save up for that next year to celebrate our 25th anniversary?

marcy said...

I knew you would have a FABULOUS time. Brought back great memories of our trip to Alaska. OK, so count us in on the next one. Where are we going? :) xoxo