Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summertime favorites

















Denise Millett's salad
Spinach - Pasta - Chicken Salad

1/2 box bow tie pasta - cook, drain
1 bag fresh spinach
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup crasins
1/2 cup pine nuts
a Fuji apple cut in small pieces
1/2 cut feta cheese
2-3 chopped up chicken breasts (already cooked)
(These amounts can be adjusted to suit your taste and it can be made without the chicken. It's a complete meal otherwise!)

Basil dressing
put these ingredients in the blender, blend and let set awhile. Blend again right before serving.
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
4 T. fresh basil (in a pinch I have used freeze dried basil and it works pretty well. Fresh is best)
2 T. brown sugar
2 garlic cloves or 1 T. bottled chopped garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

It's a taste sensation!



































Homemade ice cream in minutes
(it takes about 20 minutes to make this ice cream from start to finish! Of course you need the ice cream machine to make it happen.)

1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, to taste
This batch makes enough for about six servings.

Sometimes I like to add a crushed Butterfinger candy bar or other crushed fruit. Yum, Yum!
What are your summertime favorites? Please share them here or email them to me.

4 comments:

Eileen said...

You just made me soooo hungry! How delish!

Shaved Ice is my summer fav. I don't make it, I just buy it.

Annie said...

Now I have dinner for tomorrow!

Jamie Jo said...

That salad looks delicious! I'm wishing I had an ice cream machine. I love ice cream.

VFR said...

The ice cream is great, and we love it all summer long. As for the salad, it's interesting that what is originally advertised as a straight up chicken breast turns into chicken pasta salad, but that's what women like. I don't think too many men are hep on chicken salad.