Monday, February 16, 2009

Week in the land of the sun











I got back Saturday night from a wonderful week visiting family. I loved the week! The weather was nice (a little cooler than normal) but compared to Utah, it was a welcome change. Rick had a conference to attend, so while he was away, I went away as well. He is a genius who thought of the idea of having me go to visit while he was gone and helped make it happen. Here is a little sampling of what we did:
~Arrived Sunday night late, played with the girls and helped put them to bed.
~Monday - played all day with the girls (which involved playing "Mother" princesses, putting puzzles together, reading, singing, hiding, playing chase, swinging, etc.) , sewed some capes for the birthday party, went shopping for some valentine surprises, Jord made a wonderful dinner (salmon on the new grill cooked by Jake) and invited Mom and David and our family in the area for dinner. Paul was able to make it and we had a nice evening eating great food, chatting and playing Yahtzee. Favorite quote of the evening was when Paul gave Lauren a darling little paper doll (actually felt clothes on a wooden doll) for a gift. We asked her to say thank you, and all she could say was "I'm a little shy." So darling! I drove Jord's car back to Mom's home and stayed overnight with her and David. I read my book The Glass Castle into the evening- amazing book...
~Tuesday - HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY LITTLE LAUREN - visited with Mom and David, played some games, ate breakfast. Ran errands and went shopping with mom. Showed her the great 70% off cashmere sweaters at Dillard's - she bought one. I was already wearing mine from an earlier purchase made in Utah. Lunch at the place my sister Ann recommended called Poppy's. We had a great salad and sandwich and valentine cookie. Drove back to Jordan's home and helped her get ready for Lauren's 3rd birthday party. Lauren opened her gifts from Grandma and Grandpa and she was happy! Helped put the girls to bed again. Loved it! Finished sewing the capes.
~Wednesday - Lauren's party got in full swing about 10:30. Balloons, crepe paper, little kids running all around - tutus for the 7 girls, capes for the 4 boys. One little boy wanted a tutu instead of a cape. It's all good! Jord hired a dance teacher to come over and teach the little kids some moves. It was so darling. Seriously, is there anything cuter than a room full of three year olds in tutus (and capes)? Lunch was served. Pink birthday cake was loved by all, especially the birthday girl who literally licked the cake platter. Afterward - nap time for all. Picked delicious grapefruit off Jord's LOADED grapefruit tree and tried to force it off on the party guests. Mostly successful. Afternoon visit from my sister Ann. She came over and brought two fun crafts for us to do. We had a great visit and produced some good Valentine decorations. Watched some American Idol and Malcolm in the Middle. Jake grilled us steaks on the new grill for dinner. Yum!
~Thursday - While Jord went to her book group, I went to story time at the library with the girls. Three girls (one of the daughters of Jord's friend) in a two child stroller. They didn't like "touching. " Pushed it back to Jord's home (maybe 1/3 of a mile) holding Ellie in one arm while pushing the stroller with two girls in it with my one free hand. Nap time for all! Baked in the afternoon - wheat bread with the new wheat grinder, oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies, put together Ann's oatmeal pancake mix. Played with the girls, bathed them and put them to bed while Jord and Jake had a little get away. Finished reading the Glass Castle and left it for Mom to read. Such an interesting book!
~Friday - Had the oatmeal pancakes with the buttermilk syrup for breakfast. Got ready to visit Mom again. Met at Rosa's for lunch with Trace and Ann and Mom. Delicious chips and salsa and food enjoyed by all. Great visiting. Watched the girls at Mom's home while Jord got her hair cut and went to the temple. Walked with David while Lauren rode her tricycle and pushed Ellie in the stroller. Chatted with Mom. Visited by DeNae, followed by a visit from cousin Susan and her husband Chris who had come to town to see Ann and Trace. Jake left town headed for Utah with his priest's quorum on a snowboarding adventure. We girls had a pizza party and movie night.
~Saturday - watched the girls while Jord went to the grocery store. Sewed a dust ruffle for Lauren's bed. Went to lunch at Flo's- a great Thai restaurant- but we got shut out because of a large crowd and had to go to a soup and salad place. Reminded me of Zupas. Went to Lauren's ballet class at the community center. So incredibly darling. Watched her dance for 45 minutes. She takes her dance class very seriously and does just what the teacher asks. Left from there to head to the airport. Filled Mom's mostly empty suitcase with about 50 pounds of grapefruit from Jord's tree. It was over weight! Had to move 5-6 random grapefruit to my carry on bag. I just hoped I wouldn't drop it and send grapefruit flying through the security section. Seriously, those Ruby Red pink grapefruit on Jord and Jake's tree are the BEST. Said goodbye to Jord and the girls. Left with Lauren blowing me kisses and Ellie saying Bye Bye. Made my heart skip a beat. How I love those little girls!!! Jordan and Jake are such wonderful parents. I don't even know how to put into words how proud I am of them. They are doing an incredible job raising our grandchildren. Started my second book Eat, Pray, Love on the flight.
I was met at the airport by my Valentine who hefted the grapefruit laden suitcases for me. He had me close my eyes and he took me to one of my favorite restaurants in SLC called Trio. It was a great meal and a wonderful evening with my best friend! I'm happy to be back home with him. It was a fabulous weekend in the land of the sun. I tip my cup of Ruby Red grapefruit juice to Jord and Jake. Thanks for having me down!

5 comments:

VFR said...

Thanks, Vonnie, for the post and the great recap of the week in the Valley of the sun. What a wonderful time you had. I'm envious of the fun you had and the things you did, and seeing Jord, Jake, the girls, and family. It's great you had such a great time.

Jord said...

That is a great recap Mom of a fabulous week! We loved having you here and wish you could come back soon!

Claire said...

Good to see what was going on there last week. I love that the 3 girls didn't want to touch in the stroller. Also what is the picture of them crying on Jord's lap? By the way, I have the same orange Gap shirt. Sounds like a fun trip!

Vonnie said...

Claire - the picture of the girls crying was just a typical shot showing what Jord gets to deal with when they both get hurt or want a love or want to sit on her lap at the same time. She was trying to do her hair and makeup, but she was constantly interrupted, as usual! I got the Gap shirt on clearance for $7.00! I also got another great purple blouse there as well. I love Gap!
Jord - it was a week in heaven! Loved being with you and your little family.
VFR - I'm happy to be back home with you where I belong :)

Lee said...

I'm glad you had such a fun week Von.
Everything sounded so fun!