Saturday, February 21, 2009

Facebook

I did it. I succumbed. I joined Facebook this week. I've received invitations to join, but never really though it would be for me. Then came this week's issue of Time magazine. See this article. It gave 10 reasons why Facebook is for Old Fogies like me. I bought the hype. Here is a partial list of reasons to join Facebook from the article:
1. Facebook is about finding people you've lost track of - I've already connected with several in one week.
2. We're no longer bitter about high school. - I wasn't bitter, but it's good to see that people do move on.
3. We're lazy. It's very easy to operate.
4. We're old enough that pictures from grade school or summer camp look nothing like us.
5. We have children. There is very little that old people enjoy more than forcing others to pay attention to pictures of their children. Facebook is the most efficient engine ever devised for this.
6. We're too old to remember e-mail addresses.
7. We're not cool, and we don't care.

There was a time when it was cool to be on Facebook. That time has passed. Facebook now has 150 million members, and its fastest-growing demographic is 30 and up. At this point, it's way cooler not to be on Facebook. We've ruined it for good, just like we ruined Twilight and skateboarding. So git! And while you're at it, you damn kids better get off our lawn too.

Let me know if you want to be my friend!

5 comments:

Claire said...

Wow watch the farm language there, missy!
I was surprised when the first person over 50 I knew joined Facebook, but, like you said, it's used by so many that I wouldn't even be surprised if Grandma joined. It is really cool to stay connected with people, and it's nice because it can become totally addictive or just a once-in-a-while type thing. Glad you're on!

Kylee said...

I'm one of the few people my age that doesn't have a Facebook account. And my reason is that I'm worried I'll spend way too much time on it like I do on my blog. I don't think I'd ever get off the computer if I had both. Also, I'm worried there will be people on there that I knew from high school that I don't really care to be in contact with... You'll have to let me know what you think about those things and maybe I'll think about joining.

VFR said...

I won't join facebook because of security concerns, and because I wouldn't be able to figure it out, given lack of interest and skill in computer literacy, so I'll just have to be content with looking at your account from time to time. Congratulations in becoming a real "hep cat," and having a facebook account.

Vonnie said...

Claire - hahaha...that was a quote from the Time article! That's funny you thought it was me talking like a farm girl :) Thanks for the encouragement.
Kylee - I'm sure it can be addicting. I just like to limit myself and set a mental timer, so you're right, you could spend way too much time on it. I like it because more guys use Facebook and it seems to be a way to connect with them. They use it as a networking tool. Also, you don't have to even list your high school and you could avoid some people that way. I'm sure they would find you eventually, but don't have to accept their invitation to be their "friend" if you don't want to. You can filter who you connect with that way.
For me (after using it one whole week!) it seems like a good way for chatting back and forth, almost IM type of thing - only other people can read what you write as well. Blogging is better for choosing topics I want to write about and seems to be more of a way to express yourself. If I had to choose, I'd choose blogging, but facebook has it's perks too.

Jord said...

I am now feeling the pressure to be a better facebooker if my mother has it figured out already. Yikes, I've got to get up on technology. :)