Thursday, February 26, 2009

Size 12

I just want to be a size 12. Always and forever. For years I was a much smaller size. Been there, done that. Smaller is OK, but in my advancing years - size 12 works better for me. Obviously I'm a bit larger than that (not much) but I don't like it. I feel thick. I just want to be a size 12 again. All my clothes are a size 12. I refuse to buy new BIGGER clothes. I'm not influenced by the media or the beautiful people (although I do admit to being motivated by my sisters sizes, because they are less than size 12, one and all) I'm influenced by my closet. I DO NOT want new clothes.


Having said that, here are some truths I have found over the last couple of years:

~If you don't move, you gain. If you sit, you gain. If you eat, you gain.

~I hate exercising, but it is necessary evil.

~Exercising goes down much better with a friend.

~You have to starve yourself to lose weight after age 50. Seriously, it does not come off otherwise.

~You can never eat sweets again. Never. OK, maybe on your birthday you can have a small piece of angel food cake with non-fat Cool Whip, but that's it.
~You will never bake again. Heck, you don't hardly cook anymore either. It doesn't take much skill to throw a frozen chicken breast on the George Foreman and steam up some asparagus spears.
~Fruit in moderation. All the fructose just turns to SUGAR anyway.
~Carbs (the bad little devils) are the enemy -especially those white ones. They're like the plague...the whiter the bread, the sooner you're dead. White rice - that's a no, no. Rolls, doughnuts, cookies - eat em and you're weak, you poor sorry person. Get some gumption!
~packaged anything - completely out of the question
~Fast food - another "fast" route to big bottom, big thighs, big stomach,
~Multi grains - good in moderation, but no jam or honey on your wheat toast. Watch the spread you put on the toast as well. Always vigilant!
~Milk - only skim of course (Claire always thought it was called SKIN milk and she refused to drink it. Consequently, we only had the good stuff around when she was growing up.)
~You can only eat lean meat and vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables. Watch the dip on the fresh veggies, that will get you every time.
~You can never eat as much as you want to ever again. Never. You must eat small, child size portions for the rest of your days.
~You will pass up good stuff day after day and have very minimal results on the scale or with the measuring tape. And when you do lose some - why is it that you will lose in all the wrong places...you know -- the places where you would LIKE to keep some inches.
~Your weight redistributes. You know those women with large stomachs? They let those pounds accumulate and take up residency around the middle and they refuse to be evicted. Ain't leaving, no how, no way.
~You must change the fats you eat. Out with the bad fats, in with the good fats. How does your body know the difference? You have to be a scientist to tell the difference.
~Drink only water. Don't drink your calories. Water, water, water. I feel like Noah. Would someone please send the dove back with the olive branch? Enough already.
~Take the stairs. Walk, walk, walk. 10,000 steps a day. Just keep walking. Sing a song, hum a tune. Try and get your mind off the tedium of walking, walking, walking. Those pioneer children have got nothing over me.
~For 48 years I couldn't understand what people were complaining about. It couldn't be THAT hard to lose a few pounds. I enjoyed eating that crow with some tasty salsa on the side.
And all of this for WHAT I ask you? Just to be a size 12!
Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and make Lane Bryant my new best friend. Sad, but true.

7 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

That was so funny and spot on. Menopause is of the devil. Pass the cookies.

tutus n bowties said...

Isn't it sad that food is something we have to deal with 3 times a day if not more for the rest of our lives! BOO! It's a love, hate relationship in so many ways.

VFR said...

Great post, Vonnie. Too bad we can't drink our calories. All the water we have to drink makes us pee all the time, and who can stand going to the bathroom that much, anyway? Eating what you want is more fun than dieting, and eating the right stuff for you isn't always very fun. In any event, it would be great to be much younger, eating whatever you wanted to, and not worrying about the excess pounds.

Lee said...

Maybe it's an extra curse for you since you could eat WHATEVER you wanted, and not exercise for what- the first 45 years of your life? I started putting on unwanted weight at Ricks, and have had to be a little careful and exercise since then. Now I have to be a lot careful, and of course exercise. I don't know what I would do if I hated to exercise! My daily exercise routine is the highlight of my day! Seriously. I'm sad the whole weight/eating thing is such a challenge. It is for me too- if that makes you feel any better.

Claire said...

Lane Bryant: NO! I forgot about calling it "skin" milk. I still don't like to drink it. Too bad brussels sprouts don't taste like Skittles.

Jord said...

That sucks not to be able to eat good food anymore. And by good I mean chocolate, 2% milk, candy, cookies, cake, etc.! So sorry for you Mother!