Friday, February 20, 2009

Romeo & Juliet












Last night we saw R&J at Pioneer Theatre. I would give it a B grade. As you may know, this is one of my favorite Shakespeare plays and I'm rather picky about the players. Juliet was quite shrill and over dramatic and the Nurse was completely overcooked (even though she plays a comic character.) Romeo did a fine job. I give all the actors praise though because they memorized and delivered three HOURS of continuous dialogue in Shakespeare without a hitch- no small task. The set was amazing and the costumes authentic.


I liked these notes from the director: One need search no further than daily news headlines to find palpable evidence that Shakespeare's story lives on. Long-standing feuds whose root causes pre-date memory continue to sever families, countries, cultures, classes, races; bloodshed erupts, young people die, lessons are sometimes learned. It is, in part, because we do not embrace these lessons that we are compelled to re-tell this story, it is also because Romeo and Juliet is a ravishing feast for the ears and for the eyes, that its symmetrical structure gives us a perfect balance of comedy and tragedy, and that the traffic on the stage is peopled with some of the most memorable and compelling characters Shakespeare created.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Jake is reading R&J in English right now, and they're watching the movie with Leonardo DeCaprio. He's enjoying it. I still have not seen or read it. Are you ashamed of me? How is the movie with Leo in it? What grade would you give it?

Vonnie said...

I'd give that movie a C+. It's set in modern times even though they speak Shakespeare. It's kind dramatic, but it may appeal to kids because the clothes are modern and the fights are more violent. The best movie is the one with Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting. I have my own copy. When we get together next, we MUST watch it together. I think it might get you hooked!

VFR said...

"A rose by any other name would still be a rose." "He jests at scars that never felt a wound." What great lines, and what a great playwright Shakespeare was. Thanks, Vonnie, for your interest in plays. They are usually great entertainment.