Thursday, April 15, 2010

Play dough



When Jordan and the girls were visiting a couple of weeks ago, Lauren and I made homemade play dough one afternoon while Jordan, Ellie and Ada were taking a nap. I used a recipe I've had for years. I made it many times for our kids when they were young and I thought Lauren would enjoy making some. She decided we needed two colors of play dough and she chose blue and green for the colors. We had a great time making snakes, pies, people and different shapes. It's easy to make, economical and can be stored and reused for a couple of weeks. Here is the recipe:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
1 T. alum

Mix these three ingredients well

add lots of food coloring of your choice to
3 T. oil
2 cups boiling water

Add flour mixture to water and stir well. Pour out on a surface and knead well. If sticky, knead in more flour until it is the consistency of play dough. Have fun! We did.

2 comments:

Jord said...

That girl is so darn cute! The play dough is still fresh and soft and they just played with it tonight. Thanks for the recipe.

VFR said...

You know how to do so many things, Vonnie. What a great idea to make play dough with the little ones.