Monday, September 3, 2012

The spiritual side of things



When the "C" (cancer) word is pronounced on a person, time stands still.  It's difficult to grasp the concept that there is  an invader in the body that can kill and that if left unchecked, it will kill.  It's a paradigm shift to know that a life that was once carefree and unfettered will now be more carefully lived, more thoughtfully reviewed and more measured.  It will be a life that is more appreciative for each new day because now there is a major treat to each new day. There has also come a realization of facing one's own mortality and staring it down.

How to react?
How to move forward?
What to learn from the experience?
How to help others?
How to help myself?
How to cope?
What to learn from it?

I believe that we came to earth as sons and daughters of God to be tested and to be tried to see if we would follow the example of Jesus Christ.  I've had a few trials along the way in my life, but nothing quite like this.  In large measure, I've lived a charmed life.  When "things" were going too well, it could be a little unsettling because I've always felt that the calm could proceed the storm.  I've seen it happen before.  I've always felt that I couldn't escape life living a charmed existence and not follow in some of the Savior's steps to Gethsemane.  If I am to know Him better, I need to submit to His will for me. I need to partake in His suffering.
 
 I Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.   

 We've had many,  many great years of calm.  I suppose that it's our (my) turn for a storm.  It's my turn to be tested to see what I'm made of. I haven't thought for a moment "Why me?"  If anything, I've truly thought "why NOT me?"  I have been strengthened by the many, many people who have been praying and fasting for me.  I appreciate your love and support more than you will ever know.


Do I blame God?  Certainly not.  Do I blame someone or something else?  Certainly not.  Do I think I just have bad luck?  No.  I may have a genetic preponderance to this disease, and there may be every likelihood that this is part of God's plan for me.  I will put my trust my Heavenly Father and know that everything will work out for my best good.  I'll remain calm and I'll fight on.  I'll pray.  I'll ponder.  I'll read and I'll learn.  I'll exercise faith.  I'll ask for His blessings. I'll seek the wondrous blessings of His Atonement in my life.  And when I come out at the end of it, I hope His image is reflected in my countenance. 


 Alma 36:3...for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.


4 comments:

Scout Lady said...

Wonderful perspective, Yevon. Wishing you well in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Dana

Vonnie said...

Strong, powerful, and heart-felt words, Vonnie. We love you, and pray with all our hearts and all our faith for you. You are everything to us.

vfr

tutus n bowties said...

I just love you! You have the strongest testimony out there. I seriously look up to you so much.

Jord said...

You good Mother. Because you know where to turn and Who to turn to things will definitely turn out just fine.