Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hair loss


 

 



It started on day 14.  I was told that anytime between day 14 to day 21 after the 1st chemo treatment, my hair would start to fall out.  It did.  From one day to the next.  Handfuls came out all at one.  It started on a Wednesday and by Friday morning, I had my head shaved.  It is just so much easier to get it cut off!  Some women opt to have their hair shaved off before it starts to fall out.  Some choose to wait and see how much actually comes out.  Some just get thinning and don't lose it all.  I could tell that mine was going to come out by the handfuls and look terrible.  It was a very messy process.  It was falling everywhere and it was just easier to get rid of it.  My hair stylist shaved my head and then styled my wig at no cost.  He is such a good friend and gave me lots of moral support.  The remaining stubble continues to fall out and at some point, every hair on my body will fall out, including my eyelashes and eyebrows.  My sister Janet and my Mom came to town a few weeks ago and went with me to a wig shop here in town to get a wig and some head scarves and hats.  I'll be hairless for about 6-8 months before my hair starts to grow back.  I'm going to enjoy the time saved in getting ready every day, the cost of hair cuts, of hair color treatments, of purchasing hair products and most of all, just the ease of getting ready in an instant.  You just pull on the wig/scarf/wrap/hat and GO!

4 comments:

VFR said...

Fortunately, you have a nice head, one that is proportional and for which baldness is not unbecoming, under the circumstances. You head is long and oval, and you make a pretty good bald lady. Some of us are "blessed" with large noggins which don't look particularly good bald.

Carol said...

Your wig looks so good! I love you!

tutus n bowties said...

I will say it again...
You look great without hair! You totally are rocking that look.

Lee said...

I take it the picture w you wearing the wig is the last one? I really can't tell. It looks great. I'm really so sad for you reading details of all you're going through. Know that I think and pray for you everyday.