I’ve put writing this post off for three weeks. It’s actually hard to write about and hard to
describe. I don’t want to cause anyone
who might have to go through this experience themselves someday to have any
additional worry or anxiety, because everyone reacts differently to chemo. There isn’t a one-size-fits-all outcome. There are a list of side effects that are
pretty common, but those side effects affect people to varying degrees and some
suffer with some and not others. The first time through it is an adventure because you don't know how your body will react.
It was a hard day when I found out I had breast cancer. I had seen my mother go through it and I knew
what was in store (or at least I thought I knew.) It was another hard day when I found out I
would need to go through chemotherapy. I
dreaded this treatment more than surgery, hair loss or radiation. Submitting to chemotherapy was facing my own personal Goliath. I simply couldn’t abide the thought that I
was going to have to poison my body to save my body. These strong drugs have the real potential to
leave a person with permanent side effects and damage to vital body
organs. While the Herceptin is a sort of
“miracle drug” for fighting the HER2 receptor cells that are fast growing, it
also can cause permanent heart damage.
The doctors will monitor my heart function through the treatment which
will be one year, but they only stop treatment when they see that it is causing
problems. I try not to dwell on these
things, but they address the real issues of why I started down this
chemotherapy road with real trepidation.
My 1st experience was pretty rough. I went in on August 22 at 11:30 am. They drew blood to get a baseline and checked
vitals. Dr. Wallentine answered
questions and explained more details about the chemo drugs I would be
receiving with the acronym of TCH. I would start with a bag of saline with anti-nausea drugs and
steroids mixed in. Second bag would be
Benadryl to ward off any allergic reactions to the chemo drugs. Third bag would be the chemo drug
Taxotere. Forth bag would be the chemo drug Carboplatin and finally the fifth bag would
be Herceptin, the target therapy drug described earlier that will go after the HER2
receptors. It took nearly six hours for
these drugs to slowly drip into my port.
The only reaction I noticed is that my legs were restless while I was
receiving the Benadryl and it made my very, very tired. Otherwise, the drugs didn’t cause any
immediate reaction or cause me to feel strange.
I think I can thank the IV anti-nausea drugs and steroids for that
blessing.
The treatments fool a person because after receiving the
drugs, I felt OK. I drove home. I had dinner.
I watched TV. I had to go back
the next morning to receive a shot of Neulasta another drug to stimulate bone marrow
growth and keep my white blood cells at a decent level. They told me to take 3 Advil
and 1 Claritin to ease the bone pain that would come because of the new bone
marrow growth. The next day wasn’t too
bad. Rick and I even walked to the post office and
back. The real pain and misery started
on the third day, just like they said it would.
That Friday morning, I woke up with bone pain, body pain, nausea and
generally just feeling lousy. It felt
like having a bad case of the stomach flu along with morning sickness and
cramps. The next 36 hours were
hard. It was hard to drink and eat and
the bone pain was constant. My health insurance company would only authorize the sell of 10 anti-nausea pills Ondansetron at the start. I went through those the first three days and then I had nothing over the weekend. We finally just bought more from the pharmacy and since then the chemo clinic has talked to my health insurance to let them know that the anti-nausea drugs were for chemo treatment. Duh.
I struggled the next week with acid reflux and eventually had to go in twice to get more IV fluids with anti-nausea drugs. I got going on an anti-acid for the reflux, but I was pretty miserable in the interim. I got a U-T-Infection as well and at one point had a temperature of 100 degrees. It was tough sledding which the chemo nurse said is not "normal" for the 1st treatment. While the 1st treatment can be hard, it shouldn't have been as hard as it was.
We learned a lot. We know more what to do to ward off the worst of the side effects. I person absolutely HAS to eat and drink a lot to wash the chemicals from the body. I didn't do enough of that, but I learned my lesson. Here's hoping that Chemo #2 goes better.
Chemo #2 - September 12
Chemo #3 - October 3
Chemo #4 - October 24
Chemo #5 - November 14
Chemo #6 - December 5
Chemo #2 - September 12
Chemo #3 - October 3
Chemo #4 - October 24
Chemo #5 - November 14
Chemo #6 - December 5
2 comments:
It is a tough process, Vonnie, to be sure. Thanks for the accurate, straightforward account of treatment number one. There are probably as many different reactions to this type of therapy as there are people, but it is not for the faint of heart. On the other hand, it is for those who are willing to fight the illness and who understand that there will be some degree of difficulty in doing so. I admire your tenacity, your grit, your guts, and your determination. You are a wonderful example to those of us who love and admire you.
I hate that you have to go through this. I'm so sorry the first go round was so hard on you. We sure love you and are praying the treatments will not be so intense on you as that first one.
Post a Comment