Sunday, September 16, 2012

The goodness of people

I've been completely overwhelmed by the kindness shown to us since we learned of this breast cancer diagnosis.  People have been so concerned, so supportive, so compassionate, so kind.  Seriously, it has made all the difference to me to have this kind of support.  It has given me courage and made me feel stronger knowing that so many people are pulling for me and Rick.  And on that note, make no mistake.  This is a journey that my husband and I are both traveling together.  His loving concern has been unparalled.  I have felt his support through thick and thin.  He is my anchor and my true love.
The faith and prayers of so many people have buoyed me up and have helped me feel calm in the face of what lies ahead.   I have felt those prayers.  I know people have fasted and prayed and have shown faith that all will be well. This means everything to me.


I have written over 50 thank you cards.  People are so good and have come up with so many ways to be helpful and to be kind.  I thought I'd make a list of some of the things friends and family members have done.  It might help to give ideas for the future if you know of anyone going through this experience or a similar one. Here's the list:

*fresh flowers (I've had a fresh bouquet almost every day since the beginning)
*plaques with uplifting verses and hopeful sayings
*bath products
*books with uplifting messages and just books that are funny
*movies on loan
*meals  
*fresh fruit and healthy treats
*See's chocolates
*Jamba Juice gift card
*a schedule meal brought on each chemo day
*an edible fruit basket
*gift cards for take out food
*essential oils
*lap blankets
*pies, banana bread, cookies, muffins
*perfumes and head scarf
*peaches, pears, tomatoes, corn
*hats
*bath and body products for SLEEP
*hard candies to suck on during chemo treatment
*cards, cards and more cards with encouraging words
*texts, phone calls, email, Facebook messages and voicemail with encouraging words

If anyone sees a cute hat somewhere while you are out and about, buy it and I'll pay you back.  A bald head can never have too many head coverings. 




2 comments:

VFR said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Vonnie. We are in this together, and it is a privilege to be part of the support team. You deserve it. We have been blessed and encouraged by the support, love, prayers, faith, kindness, and gifts of others. It is touching to realize that we are not going through this alone. At the same time, there are some who, for want of knowing what to say or do, say or do nothing. That becomes awkward. I think, going through this, that a kind word, an inquiry as to how things are going, is so much appreciated, and is a good practice.

Lee said...

I'm so happy knowing how much it helps and means to you for people to do kind things. That makes me want to continue doing and saying kind things to people going through hard things. I had been thinking of asking you what people have done out of the ordinary or that you've appreciated most, so thanks for this list! Keep smiling and having that wonderful positive attitude! Love you