Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I want my momma!



Who do you want when you're going through a hard time?  Well, I'll tell you one thing, I want my mother dear to come and reassure me, spoil  me and just be with me.  And that is exactly what I got.  My sweet mother Mary drove herself, her sister and her brother-in-law to town for a four day visit.  She stayed with me and they stayed with their daughter Janis and her family who live in my neighborhood.  She went with me to my 2nd chemo infusion.  She sat by me in the COLD chemo room and caught a chill.  She waited with me the whole 4 1/2 hours while we talked to the doctor, got the infusion of the chemo drugs and then headed home.

~She took me back the next morning for my shot of Neulasta and she just buoyed me up and helped me get through it.
~She brought some potato soup that tasted delicious
~She brought some raspberries that my uncle Clair had picked for us and she made about 12 pints of raspberry jam.
~She took some pears my sister Lee sent and made some pear jam
~we went to visit her sister Gayla who is in a care center and had a nice visit with her
~we went to lunch with Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Bill and had a nice visit (their treat, now nice!)
~She took some old apples, cooked them up and made the most delicious home-made applesauce
~She made two fresh peach pies
~She made chicken noodle soup that was just what I wanted and needed
~She made meat loaf and baked potatoes, good comfort food
~She did dishes, cooked and helped out in every way possible.  Oh, and did I mention that she is 85 years old??

And what did we do to fill those hours when I didn't feel so good?
~we put a puzzle together
~we watched my HD movie edition of Gone With the Wind
~we watched the movie edition of Phamtom of the Opera
~we watched the movie While You Were Sleeping

And the best part of all?  She would give me a  hug and say "I'm so sorry you have to go through this" and "I love you" and "you can do this!"

She should know.  She went through the same thing herself nine years ago.  She is a example to me of courage, grit, determination and will power.  I love her so much. She fought the good fight and she won.  So can I!

3 comments:

Lee said...

Awww- that is sooo sweet. It made me a little emotional reading it and imagining how good that must have made you feel and how helpful she was. You should mention she did all of that at age 85!!! That a lot for anyone to accomplish, let alone an elderly woman! Mom is the best, and I'm so glad you got to be spoiled by her.

Kylee said...

Grandma is such a great lady! I'm so glad she was there to be with you during part of your hard times. I can't believe she did all that in just 4 days!

VFR said...

Thanks very much, Mary, for coming and helping us out. We love you, and appreciate all that you did for us, and all that you continue to do for us. You are an inspiration to us, for sure.