Thursday, December 1, 2011

Young Women in Excellence

We had our Young Women in Excellence program last night. It was AWESOME!. Seven wonderful YW earned their Young Womanhood Recognition award and received their medallions last year and we honored them at the program. I made the Stand Tall sashes and the Laurel wreathes. They were a hit and the girls loved them. I'm so happy they did. I'm also very proud of their hard work and accomplishments.
Our theme was "Hats off to YOU!" We had several people (a new mom, a new wife - Megan Lindley, a grandma - LaRonna, a teacher, a sister) come and talk to the girls about the different hats we wear as women. We then honored the girls and took our hats off to them for the good choices they are making and the way they are living their lives. It was a really fun night.
We had a "tea party" and served hot chocolate and finger foods and sat at round tables that were decorated in a fancy style to eat.
Here are the sashes I made for each of the seven Laurel girls. (Unfortunately I didn't get a separate photo of the Laurel wreathes.)
The girls displayed different things showing some of the goals they have accomplished during the year.
Here they all are with their different "hats" on after the program.
Here is our wonderful Young Women's president with one of our darling Laurel girls.
A few weeks ago we had a combined activity with the Young Men and we talked about preparing to serve a mission. We had leaders who had served missions when they were young tell one way their mission changed their lives. We heard some really touching stories.
The youth then wrote letters to the full-time missionaries who are serving from our ward. We have one older couple and four young Elders representing us. I'm sure the missionaries will love to receive Christmas letters from the youth in our neighborhood.
We made a name badge for each of the youth that was wrapped around a Hershey Bar. It was a very sweet treat and well received.
Each of the leaders who had served missions when they were young submitted some pictures of themselves back in the day. They youth had to guess who was who. We also had three recently returned missionaries come and do a panel discussion of what it's really like to serve a mission. They did such a good job. We showed segments I and II of what it is like to live inside of the MTC. It was a very fun activity and I think the young people really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

VFR said...

Vonnie, you are one of the greatest young women in the history of the church. The YW in our ward are very lucky to have you and your skill set to help them along. Congratulations.