Monday, October 19, 2009

the Freedom Trail





















We spent an entire day in Boston following the Freedom Trail. We started out the day aboard a harbor cruise boat that took us out in the bay for a spectacular view of Boston. We saw Bunker Hill, Old Ironsides and other historic sites from the boat. Afterward, we got on an open air trolley that took us around the city to view the sites from atop a tour trolley. Later in the day we started walking along the trail that is just over 2 miles long. Rick's parents took a break in the lobby of the Longwarf Marriott hotel and we set out to walk the trail. Rick can be seen walking along the red bricks that led from one end of town to the other following the Freedom Trail. All along the way were historical sites that were sandwiched in between modern high rise buildings. It's quite a mix of historical and modern buildings, blended all into one interesting city. Loved the North End! The sites along the way included: the Boston commons, the State house, Park street church, Granary Burying Ground, King's chapel, old corner bookstore, old south meeting house, the Boston massacre site, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere House, Old North church, Copp's Hill burying ground, Bunker Hill and Old Ironsides. It was so interesting to learn more about what happened to the early colonists in those years of the American Revolution. We were awe struck by their courage, strength and moral fiber. I'm so intrigued by the story of those early revolutionaries, that I've decided to read the book 1776. It was a day not to be forgotten and we felt a sense of reverence and appreciation for what happened in Boston and surrounding towns, all those years ago.























































5 comments:

Eileen said...

What an amazing trip! I am enjoying seeing it through your eyes.

VFR said...

It was a very amazing and wonderful trip, and we can get a good idea of what happened through your blog. Thanks, Vonnie!

Claire said...

Jealous! Looks sweet.

teamZ said...

You've inspired me. I think I will read 1776 too! I feel like I have been on your trips with you this year.

Jord said...

Agreed, I'm definitely jealous but glad you got to see such cool stuff.