Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fenway

























































































































Rick fulfilled a life time dream of touring Fenway Park. My motives were good, but slightly different. I wanted to see the park because I knew my dad went there while he was on his mission, serving in the New England States, many years ago to watch a game. Fenway is one of those places that kind of has a spirit to it. It's so OLD and HISTORIC that you can't help but feel the ghosts of baseball players past. We walked around the perimeter of the entire building. I'm sure that at some point I walked in my dad's same footsteps. Kinda cool.

We almost didn't get in. They had a busload of Catholic school kids come to tour the park and they weren't letting other site-see-ers in that afternoon. Rick made a pouty face and said that we had come all the way from Utah to see the park. One of the old tour guys took pity on us and said that we could tag along with him following the school kids. He was a darling man. He told the other workers that he was giving a tour to a bunch of Catholic kids and two Mormons.

We learned a lot about the park such as:
  • what the GREEN monster is and why (the paint color is patented)
  • how they keep score by hand
  • how there are 7,000 people on a waiting list to keep score behind the Green monster with no heat and no air conditioning, not coming out from behind the score board for the entire game, no matter how many innings it lasts
  • the secret way that the previous owners left their mark on the ball park using Morse code
  • the lone red set and what story goes with it
  • how much it costs to have seats in the Green monster
  • why they don't replace the old wooden seats with modern seats
  • the number of times they've won the World Series (our tour guide has wearing TWO world series rings on his fingers! They were beautiful and I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of his hands. He was a darling old man with a wonderful Boston accent)
  • check out this Wiki site here to learn more about Fenway Park!





5 comments:

Annie said...

After your trip you didn't even come home and spend a week in bed! Glad you had a wonderful time.

VFR said...

What a great place Fenway Park is. I'd love to see a baseball game there, as would millions of others, I'm sure. It was wonderful to get a tour of the place.

tutus n bowties said...

It's been fun reading up on your trip! I'm glad you had a blast and made it back safe. P.s. I will get your color to you. So sorry!

Joyce Anne said...

Don't hate me, but your time might have been better spent going to "Yankee Stadium" in NYC. I'm just saying!!!! Seriously, my Mom was born and raised in upstate New York so I have been schooled as a Yankee fan. I know....You either hate them or love them.

Vonnie said...

Thanks all for the comments everyone. That's so funny Joyce Anne about you loving the Yankees and not the Red Socks! You are a great supporter of my blog! Thanks for your support. I love to read your comments.