
Check out this article in Time magazine entitled "The Storm Over the Mormons." It's an interesting look into the fall out from Prop 8 in California from their perspective. It raises some interesting and thought provoking questions and even quotes Rick's cousin. I doubt that all their supposed facts about numbers and amounts are correct, but it makes for a better story the way it is written. Nevertheless, it's fairly well balanced.
This quote from the article expresses some of my views quite well: "As civilization keeps moving from standards we think God wants people to hold, it's inevitable that we expect persecution."
I would add to that that "when civilization keeps moving from standards that I BELIEVE God wants people to hold, it's inevitable that we (all people who support marriage between one man and one woman) expect persecution," but I for one am determined to help hold the line according to my own beliefs, come what may (even if Tom Hanks thinks I'm unAmerican for doing so - and no, I didn't go see his latest movie.) I don't believe that God will change his mind about gay marriage and the eternal nature of the family based on thousands of years of human experience. And anyone who says that we feel this way only "because the prophet made me do it," and "I'm showing my faith by voting against what I know in my heart," does not speak for me and for millions similarly situated. I know in my heart that gay marriage is wrong.
2 comments:
Wonderful post, Vonnie. You go, girl!
I have been surprised by the backlash on Prop 8. I am disappointed by the celebrities and others in CA. I would hope that they could have respected the political process and realized that the major has voted and it should be respected. Instead, after Prop 8 passed they have tried to destroy the democratic process. They tried to have the courts or calling in special favors to have the law changed. Now, that is un-American!
Post a Comment