Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 generation play dish cupboard

Many years ago my dad made a little miniature play dish cupboard for my sisters and me. Somehow, I ended up with the cupboard and I refinished it for Jordan and Claire when they were little girls. It was originally painted white with red trim but I painted it yellow with blue trim (bad mistake.) Our girls enjoyed playing with it for many years. It fell into disrepair over the years and some of the original features were changed or broken. It had little glass doors on the top of the cupboard, but those where long gone by the time I got it for my girls. The little drawers had come off their runners and the bottom cupboard doors had fallen off. I thought about throwing it away...but decided to keep it in case it could be restored. Last fall I hired a man in our ward to fix it and bring it back up to it's original glory. He made new cupboard doors for the top and reattached the bottom cupboard doors. He remade the runners for the drawers and he found new hinges and hardware. I really wanted to have it ready for Lauren and Ellie to play with it this summer, so Rick helped me start the LONG process of stripping the paint and repainting it the original colors. What a job! Finally I got it done and our little grand girls were able to play with the cupboard made by their great grandpa Earl. They loved it! We got some new dishes and some play food and they had a great time. I'm happy I hung on to the cupboard and that it could be restored to it's former beauty and serviceability. So fun! And it's great to have a little something of dad's handiwork in our home again.



















































This little red horse was made by Andy in a shop class when he was in high school. It's a lot like the little wooden horse my dad made for us kids when we were young. I'm so happy to have a similar one to go with my little cupboard. They are vintage toys and bring back such happy memories. I hope our grand kids enjoy playing with them as much as we did.











2 comments:

VFR said...

Thanks, Vonnie, and thanks to Grandpa Earl. The girls love the cupboard, and it is a great tie to former years.

Jord said...

I do not doubt but that it will definitely be well used by future grandgirls.