Friday, December 15, 2017

Jesus said - Day 15

Luke 4: 18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach gospel to the poor, he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.

There is so much need in the world.  This isn't news to anyone, but the older I get, it seems like the more need I see.  Maybe it's because I am in the early years of living my seventh decade and I've just seen a lot and experienced so much.  Maybe my circle of friends, family and others has grown bigger and bigger so that I see into the lives of more and more people.  I see so much that is good in the lives of the people I know and so many that are happy, leading productive and successful lives. But I also see so many that are struggling in a myriad of ways.  

As we have tried to #lighttheworld this Christmas, it as been very gratifying to reach out, to lift the hands that hand down, to try and help the brokenhearted, to give some hope to the captives (of addictions, vices and other struggles), to try and bring sight to the blind who do not see, and to set at liberty them that are bruised by forgiving, by lifting, by encouraging, but visiting and helping in so many ways.

Rick and I have had a wonderful month trying to follow this teaching and will continue to reach out and help where we can.  A phone call, a visit, a note, a gift card, a lunch, a ride, a shared meal, an invitation to do something together - a way to stretch ourselves following the example of the Savior.  The verse from Matthew 24:40 keeps running through my mind this month - "In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye has done it unto me."  How else can we give back to the Savior who did so much for us?  How else can we show him how much we love him?  How else can we stretch ourselves to be a little better and do a little more?  My doing good to others!  And the amazing thing is, that we ALL benefit when we do this.  The giver and the receiver benefit and ALL are edified.  This is one of my favorite things about Christmas - the pure giving inspired by the example of Christ. 


1 comment:

Vonnie said...

This probably works in reverse, as well. If we do something not so nice to someone, we may be doing it unto Him. That's a sobering thought.

vfr