Thursday, December 14, 2017

Jesus said - day 14

Luke 17: 8
And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?

There was A LOT of eating and drinking going on around here this season. It's a great part of Christmas.  We go to special dinners, events and family gatherings and we eat and eat and eat.  We make certain dishes and treats this time of year that we don't make other times.  That's what makes it so special and good!  This year my friend Cydnee came over and we tried our hand at making caramels, black licorice caramels and Boston creme candy.  We had three successes and one failed batch of caramels that were too hard.  Overall a fun day!





A few weeks later I tried by hand at making pretzel sticks and of course I made a double batch of my Grandma Mayme's molasses cookies.  Can I just say that the smell of those cookies brings back such memories and are so good.  The pretzel sticks turned out great and next year I will give them a go again.








Here is my Grandma Mayme's molasses cookie recipe.  I always double it and keep a roll or two in the refrigerator for up to a week so that you can bake them fresh when needed.  Don't say I didn't give you a wonderful Christmas present:

1 cup shortening (I use butter shortening)
1/2 cup molasses
1 heaping cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1/4 c. water, scant
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
4 1/2 cups flour

Cream shortening, molasses and add sugar, eggs and water.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Divide into two halves and roll into round rolls.  Wrap in wax paper and put in the refrigerator over night.  Cut cookies from roll about 1/4 " thick.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  Don't over bake!  Cookies will be moist and chewy.  Frost with a powdered sugar, water and butter frosting.  Enjoy!!



1 comment:

Vonnie said...

There are some very good foods associated with Christmas. Thanks for the post, Vonnie.

vfr