
We had a wonderful family reunion on Saturday. 95 people from my Dad's side of the family got together for about four hours to visit and be together. It was a lovely time to remember our grandparents Ray and Mayme and the legacy they left us. They were strong links in the chain that binds the generations. They showed us how to live life and how to pursue the things in life that are truly important. It was great to see uncles, aunts, cousins and their children and to see the number of people who are the product of these two wonderful people.Our grandparents also taught us about the basic four food groups: pie, ice cream, cake and cookies. We enjoyed eating all of these traditional desserts: molasses cookies with frosting, homemade carmel ice cream, "poor-man's apple pudding," creme raisin pie and chocolate cake. Yum!
One cousin said: "Saturday reminded me of how much I love associating with the extended family. It always brings a smile to my face. Remembering Ray and Mayme was delightful."
And another said: "I will long remember the wonderful words that were spoken regarding our amazing Ray and Mayme and our dear parents. We are truly blessed with a unique and special heritage and to be a part of it all is, well...just a gift."
An aunt said: "such a great family. I feel blesseed to be a part of it. Grandma Mayme and Grandpa Ray left us a wonderful heritage. You could just feel the love on Saturday."
(If anyone took some pictures of the reunion, please share with me. My camera got dropped and broken and so I couldn't take any pictures.)
Now that I'm a grandparent, I realize even more the important contribution that grandparents can make to the lives of their posterity. Research has shown that grandparents can prove to be a resource to their families in so many important ways. They can actually influence fundamental aspects of their grand-children's lives, including helping them form their own individual identities and in conveying to them family values, ideals and beliefs.
Grandparents can act as family historians, mentor-teachers and also be nurturers of emotional and physical well-being. They are role models as they model how to live honorable and respectable lives. They can be the heroes after which many children seek to pattern their lives. They can also be playmates and be involved in activities that strengthen inter-generational ties.
They can:
- Organize and attend family get-togethers (reunions, birthdays and holiday celebrations)
- Work together (chores, running errands, community service, paid employment)
- Actively spend time together (board games, puzzles, playing catch, hunting and fishing, shopping, taking walks and drives)
- Attend religious-oriented activities (attending church services and socials together)
- Participate in family-oriented activities (writing and sharing personal histories, visiting extended family, visiting cemeteries, and discussing one's childhood and ancestors_
- Converse regularly (face-to-face, phone calls, letters, emails, Skype and text messaging.)
- Offer advice and counsel when requested
www.aarp.org/family/grandparenting
www.grandparents.com
www.helpguide.org/mental/grandparenting.htm
2 comments:
Wonderful post, Vonnie. I'm grateful for our grandparents, and to be in their family chain. Thanks for organizing the great family reunion last weekend. It's hard to believe you're old enough to be a grandparent.
I'm so glad the reunion turned out. I'm sure it was a wonderful experience. And for the record we think you and Dad are perfect grandparents and we're so grateful for all that you do for our kids.
Post a Comment