Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Utah Lake



Yesterday, Rick, Brian (Rick's autistic cousin) and I drove all around Utah Lake. for an adventure. I've lived in this valley for the last 30 some odd years and I've never taken a drive around the lake. I was absolutely amazed at how large it is. It's 24 miles by 13 miles at the largest points. We live on the east side of the lake and the west side has been largely uninhabited. About 15 years ago, communities started to develop on the west side of the lake. Now there are 100s of homes and entire communities on the west side of the lake. The land is less expensive and there is a lot of it available for development. I've noticed the lights across the lake at night They have grown in number over the years as these communities have developed. The communities of Saratoga Springs, Cedar Fort and Eagle Mountain are all out on the west side of the lake. Who knew?
Utah lake is a fresh water lake. However, it is shallow and only reaches 14 feet in depth at his deepest point. It has been used and abused over the years and the carp population has taken over the other fish in the lake. It is used for recreation during the summer months and yesterday when we drove around it, it was mostly frozen solid since it is so shallow. When I was a college student I remember going water skiing on the lake. It's a shame that the water isn't more desirable for recreation. There has also been talk over the years of building a causeway over the lake so that the property on the west side could be more easily accessed for development. Who knows how that will turn out? One thing is certain and that is this - the east side of the lake is almost completely built out as development has taken place between the shore of the lake and the rise of the mountains. New development has to go somewhere I suppose.
When Rick was involved in scouting many years ago, he went on a 100 mile bike ride around the lake with the boys. He said it was a good experience and it gave him some idea of the size of the lake back then. Yesterday, we also drove through the little farming communities of Goshen and Elberta. We passed many orchards and I would imagine that the town of Elberta got it's name from a peach, since Elberta peaches are some of the best. We finally came back into civilization in the thriving metropolis of Santaquin.
It was a great adventure and the first of my goals of seeing new places with Rick.
I've been to a lot of places in the great state of Utah. Does anyone have other suggestions of where we should go next?

5 comments:

Lee said...

wow- utah lake is that much bigger than Bear Lake? Cause I know bear lake is 50 miles to bike around. Good for Ricky biking 100 miles- I"m sure on a mt bike. . . that's impressive. I can't wait to hear more places you guys go!

tutus n bowties said...

Who knew! I have yet to have gone boating on the lake...that is one of my goals! Have you ventured to moab land to see some of the arches?

VFR said...

Good post, Vonnie. It was an interesting ride, and those small towns are really small. I don't think anything exciting happens there very often.

Jord said...

That is a good thing to see Mom. I'll go with if you ever go again since I too have had little experience with Utah Lake.

Lindsey Ramage said...

New Harmony UT they filmed the first scene of a James Bond Video "octapussy" making you think it was Cuba, the red rock and sun set were amazing. Good seeing you by chance at Christmas!