Monday, January 10, 2011

Looking ahead to 2011


It's a new year and a new opportunity to set sights on the future. After our kids and their families left, we got Andy ready to travel to Hawaii and then I promptly got sick. Icky sick with A LOT of abdominal pain. I ended up getting a CAT scan and missing some work. I haven't missed a day of work for sickness in many years, but alas, I couldn't get out of bed. Some good antibiotics got me back on the path to good health. Plus, the after Christmas blues hit and it was nice to just lie in bed and read my new book that Claire and Rich gave me. I also did mindless things. I watched Eat, Pray, Love. (I liked the move better than the book.) I watched Twilight again (since I won it in a Christmas game.) If I had a CD of Anne of Green Gables, I would have watched that too. It's such a good "stay in bed sick" movie. Note to self - get a copy of that series.

I'm STILL putting away the Christmas decorations. And washing towels and sheets. But I have no deadlines, so I just do it when I feel like it.

Right before I got sick, I agreed to give a talk in church in our home ward.
The topic I was given was on taking care of our bodies and eating healthy. Ironic, isn't it? We gorge ourselves in December and then try and purge in January. Crazy humans.
But it's a worthy new year's goal, right?
If losing weight is one of your New Year’s resolutions, why not look to religion as a guide?
I read a lot and of course I learned a lot.
Here are some interesting findings:
Check out this link for an interesting read and this article that was written by an LDS woman who incorporates the best diet practices of several religions into her healthy eating practices. Here are her 10 diet habits. I think they're really good and simple steps to follow.

1. Make the bulk of your diet grains, lentils, beans, vegetables and fruit.

2. Eat only enough to satisfy hunger.

3. Eat breakfast.

4. Eat at regular intervals.

5. Make two or three meals vegetarian

6. Eat small portions of meat.

7. Eat foods in their natural state when possible.

8. Allow yourself to eat small, healthy snacks between meals.

9. Make water your beverage of choice.

10. Avoid refined carbohydrates, concentrated sugars and fat-fried or processed foods.


3 comments:

VFR said...

Good post, Vonnie. Thanks for the tips. Your talk in church was great - you hit the ball out of the park, to use the sports metaphor.

tutus n bowties said...

Oh I'm so sorry you were sick. That's not a fun way to start off the new year. I love the healthy habits you posted. My healthy habit I'm working on this year is more sleep! Wish me luck.

mandmjensen said...

I agree, you did give an awesome talk! I was very motivated by your words and spent most of my time at the grocery store yesterday on the perimeter and cooked homemade chili with oranges and whole wheat toast for dinner last night! I feel great today!