Monday, May 11, 2009

Pioneer Theatre





Dial "M" for Murder. This play was very well done and we enjoyed it. It was also done as a movie years ago and if you haven't seen it, you will probably enjoy it. It is a Alfred Hitchcock suspense film and is an enjoyable yarn about an elaborate murder-for-hire scheme involving a washed-up tennis player and his well-to-do wife who is having an extramarital affair. The planning is complicated, apparently well thought-out but as usual, the scheme unravels as a result of the expert sleuthing by a police inspector of a husband who ultimately outsmarts himself by attempting to blame his wife for murder.



















Rick and I have enjoyed the season of great plays at Pioneer theater this year. I've already highlighted several of the plays over the course of the season. Last Thursday we saw Miss Saigon. I've never seen this musical before and I enjoyed it very much. It was so well done! It is sold out and now I know why. It's a worthwhile heart-breaker set during the Viet Nam era. The lead female (Kim) seen above had an amazing voice. Once again, the sets, costumes and music were superb. I'm very impressed with Pioneer Theatre company and the quality of the plays they do in the area. Here is my rating for this last season:


My Fair Lady - A


Noises Off - D (not an interesting story to me at all)


The Light in the Piazza - B


The Yellow Leaf - C+


Romeo and Juliet - A-


Dial "M" for Murder - B+


Miss Saigon - A-




Next year the line up is:


A Chorus Line


Is He Dead


A Christmas Story


Touch (ed)


Twelve Angry Men


Our Town


42nd Street




We're looking forward to another great season! If any of you readers want to join us, just let me know.

2 comments:

VFR said...

A good recap of the season, Vonnie. It is great to go to the plays with you. Live theater rocks.

Courtney said...

I love Miss Saigon. I saw it in New York during junior high and my whole family loves the music to listen to, sing, and play. I'm glad you enjoyed it.