
I keep a little notebook of ideas I came across for my blog. Crazy, I know, but what else can you do when you have too many thoughts running through your head all the time? I've decided that all you can do is just organize them, post them when the time comes and move forward!
I know I've written about one of the themes of Wicked ~ that of being changed for good by friends and family ~ but I wanted to delve into some other themes that resonated with me before I leave Wicked behind for awhile. So here goes:
Was Elphaba's story essentially a tragedy or a triumph? Did she fail at every major endeavor, and thus fail at life, or because she refused to give up or change to suit the opinions of others, was her life a success? I think her life was a success because she was true to herself at all costs.
Did Elphaba's determination and willfulness lend purpose and order to her even though she was such a strong character. At what price?
I think one of the main themes of Wicked is about friendship. Early in the show, there's a song about Glinda and Elphaba loathing each other. The girls become friends as expressed in "Popular," when Glinda tries to give her new green roommate a makeover. In the middle of the show they part ways and even fight. But at the end they sing "For Good" together. Their relationship evolves through time. I think many relationships are like this and there is a strong message about being tolerant of differences and about looking for the good in a person that you would otherwise loath or one with whom you have little in common.
The play also helps the audience look at a familiar story or characters from a different point of view, and thus reveal that life is not as simple or as black-and-white as we tend to think. That and the fact that I have always been interested in stories of people who are perceived as "different" and feel themselves alienated from "normal" society. How do "we" react to someone who is different? The Munchkins in the play judge Elphaba to be limited and different and eventually "wicked" which was not the truth at all.
Another theme of Wicked is a statement about authority or esteemed figures, and how they are not always as wonderful and truthful as everyone thinks they are. This theme applies to the Wizard, and Glinda. The Wizard uses dishonest ways to gain popularity as a political figure. Glinda seems like she is the image of good, when she really hasn't done the right thing, but the notorious figure, The Witch (Elphaba) has. This point illustrates the fact that we really shouldn't judge other people because we don't always know everything about them and we often don't know their true motives and desires.
Another theme is on how the public accepts or rejects things. One song, Wonderful, explores how a society reveres the title of a person. The song says, " Is one a crusader / or a ruthless invader / is a rich man a thief / or a philanthropist? / It's all in which label / is able to persist!" this passage is saying that a person is only seen by the public as whatever label can be put to them.
And yet another notable theme is the theme on physical beauty. This theme is very subtle, showing up only in a few spots. In the song popular, Galinda give 'Elphie' a make over, and Elphaba is startled at what she sees, at she has always thought herself to be too different to be beautiful. I think that what is being said here is that the different are more beautiful because they are different. Another point at which this theme is displayed is when Elphaba says she wishes she could be beautiful for Fyiero. He says that she is, that he is just looking at things in a different way. When Fyiero becomes a scarecrow, they have the same conversation, but switching persons. This is saying that the different are beautiful, in a different way. Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.
And the final theme is about whether trying to help people is even worth the effort. Wicked explores the the consequences of offering help and service in several different situations. At one point, Elphaba asks if kindness is really only people seeking attention. She had tried to help various people and in each instance the outcome hasn't what she intended. She sings:
What good is this chanting?
I don't even know what I'm reading!
I don't even know what trick I ought to try
Fiyero, where are you?
Already dead, or bleeding?
One more disaster I can add to my
Generous supply?
No good deed goes unpunished
No act of charity goes unresented
No good deed goes unpunished
That's my new creed
My road of good intentions
Led where such roads always lead
No good deed
Goes unpunished!
Nessa
Doctor Dillamond
Fiyero
Fiyero!!
One question haunts and hurts
Too much, too much to mention
Was I really seeking good
Or just seeking attention?
Is that all good deeds are
When looked at with an ice-cold eye?
If that's all good deeds are
Maybe that's the reason why
No good deed goes unpunished
All helpful urges should be circumvented
No good deed goes unpunished
Sure, I meant well -Well, look at what well-meant did
All right, enough - so be it
So be it, then
Let all Oz be agreed
I'm wicked through and through
Since I can not succeed Fiyero, saving you
I promise no good deed
Will I attempt to do again
Ever again
No good deed
Will I do again!
I can really relate to this last theme. In my life I've tried on many occasions to be helpful to people because I sincerely care about them. Many of my efforts have had wonderful outcomes but some have had disastrous outcomes. I've examined my motives for offering help and find that they were pure. I can empathize with Elphaba's feeling of never wanting to try to help anyone again. The disastrous outcomes have been so personally painful because generally the person being offered assistance rejects the assistance and they reject the giver of the assistance even more. Sure I meant well, well look at what well-meant did. It's generally obvious to everyone around the person in need that they need assistance, but they reject all attempts to be sincerely helped. Why is that? Are they embarrassed that someone noticed that they need help or that they are struggling? Do they not want to admit that they need help? Is it pride? Maybe they really don't need help. Maybe they are independent and don't want outside interference and they will find their own way alone, even if it is harder. Should one only offer help when it is specifically requested? Is is really true that no act of charity goes unresented? Should all helpful urges be circumvented? Is it true that no good deed goes unpunished?
5 comments:
Von- you pose many good, well thought out questions. You've given this some thought! My love for Wicked definately doesn't go so deep- I had never even though about the words to the song "no good deed" or whatever it's called. Its true that many times our intentions aren't received the way they were given, and that does make a person gun shy the next time to interfere (if that's what you want to call it) very interesting food for thought. I may be kept awake at nights now thinking about these things. In fact, I'm going to go get my ipod and listen to Wicked on the way to work! Thanks for that post.
The first half of your post made me all the more sad that I haven't seen it yet! I'm so jealous of all of you who have. The second part was very interesting. I wonder if I have ever made someone feel bad for trying to help me. I'm sure I have. I also wonder how many people I've upset by trying to help. Those are good questions. And maybe help is always resented...but I think we should still offer it, and not take Cain's approach of "Am I my brother's keeper?" I think we are supposed to be. If we saw someone heading for a waterfall and certain death, we wouldn't just watch from afar and shake our heads at the tragedy. We'd try to save them. Our effort might not be appreciated in this life, but I'm sure we're earning points in the next. :)
Interesting post, Vonnie. Many times, people resent those that try to help, either because they don't want their problems exposed, or they think the help is not given under the right circumstances, or with the right motive. This is a curious situation. I don't know if "no good deed goes unpunished, or not."
Those themes do make you think, don't they? I've decided that I will continue to help people. I'll just be very cautious in how I do it and always try and consider that point of view and ask them how I can help.
Holy crap. The only thing I got out if it was that "defining gravity" song, which only later did I learn was really "defying gravity." And we sat on the 10th row for nothing!
Post a Comment