DILIGENCE
What does diligence mean? Why is it important? How can we incorporate this virtue into our lives?Diligence is steady, consistent, earnest, and energetic effort in doing the Lord's work. We are expected to work diligently throughout our lives. We work in our homes, in our employment, in our church callings and in serving those around us in our community. We strive to accomplish good things and to be productive citizens. If we want to acquire a skill, an education, a talent or a goal, we must be diligent in organizing our time, efforts, skill and abilities to do what we want to do. Diligence is a necessary part of being a successful person, but it is also a very necessary Christlike attribute.
I think of Joseph and the role he played in rearing the son of God. He didn't ask for this assignment, yet he was diligent in protecting and teaching Jesus. The scriptures reveal that he was a good humble man who worked hard as a carpenter and that he did not turn his back on Mary when she told him of the sacred mission she was asked to fulfill. When I think of Joseph, I think of humility, obedience, sacrifice and diligence. I love the children's song "When Joseph went to Bethlehem" The lyrics give some insight into the character of Joseph and his diligence in carrying out his important role:
When Joseph went to Bethlehem, I think he took great care
To place his tools and close his shop and leave not shavings there.
He urged the donkey forward then, with Mary on its back,
And carried bread and goat cheese in a little lined sack.
I think there at the busy inn that he was meek and mild
And awed to be the guardian of Mary's sacred child.
Perhaps all through the chilly hours he smoothed the swaddling bands,
And Jesus felt the quiet strength of Joseph's gentle hands
And close bsdie the manger bed, he dimmed the lantern's light
And held the little Jesus close upon that holy night.
1 comment:
Thanks for your diligence in carrying out the responsibility of posting these Christmas thoughts and observations, Vonnie. There is a great example in the life of Joseph, who went about what he did diligently, and did not seek approval or praise from the world.
vfr
Post a Comment