The Christlike attribute of PATIENCE is an attribute that is hard for most people. To be patient with others, especially those we live with and with whom we associate most often, is sometimes a very difficult attribute to gain. I've been reminded of this lately as I've watched people in the stores, in driving, and in speaking to others that developing patience is indeed a Christlike attribute. I've watched how people have treated children and their spouses and the kind of language and tone they use in communicating with them. Patience sometimes seems to be in short supply. And yet, being impatient and rude to others often creates emotional pain and scars that are hard to overcome.
Maybe it's because I'm getting older and mellowing out some, but I value patience more and more. I wish I would have shown more patience, especially with those I love dearly. Sometimes it is the hardest to be patient with those closest around us because we spend so much time with them, we know their strengths and their weaknesses and we know where their vulnerable spots are located. We go for the weak spots in time of stress and we often say and do things we don't really intent to say or do. Learning to be patient with ourselves and with other people is truly an attribute that takes time to develop. However, being aware of it and striving to improve in this area can bring needed changes to our lives.
Patience. It's a tough attribute to acquire. Sometimes we don't like or understand the time of the Lord. Waiting on the Lord to fulfill his promises requires a lot of patience.
"Life is full of difficulties, some minor and others of a more serious nature. There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all. Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."
President Thomas S. Monson
Patience is the capacity to endure delay, trouble, oppositions or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated or anxious. It is the ability to do God's will and accept His timing. When we are patient, you hold up under pressure and are able to face adversity calmly and hopefully. Patience is related to hope and faith - you must wait for the Lord's promised blessing to be fulfilled.
Preach My Gospel, pg. 120.
1 comment:
the Jimmy Stewart clip is wonderful. The Lord is there for us, and He is patient with us. We should be patient with others. Thanks for your patience with me,Vonnie.
vfr
Post a Comment