Monday, April 4, 2011

A surf can soothe the soul




I feel a little guilty, but I'm not gonna down play it. We had a fabulous time in Hawaii. While the snow was still flying in Utah, we were enjoying the wind and waves of Oahu.
You know you're off to a good start when you are told that your seats have been upgraded to 1st class on the long Delta flight to Hawaii. Nice. Our original seats on row 35 were behind a disabled person who needed more room to recline. Her need was our gain. Rick and I got booted up to 1st. Such a hardship, but we bore up as best we could. We were upgraded on another long flight coming home from South America one time. Now we know why they pull the little curtain between 1st and coach. There could be an uprising otherwise. The warm towels to wash before the hot meal, the endless drinks and pampering, the offer of a free alcoholic drink (which we declined), the free media headphones, the larger more spacious seats, more leg room, the snacks offered several times and the attentive stewardess makes paying three times the regular price worth it to some people I guess.


We got to Honolulu, checked out our car and headed to the hotel. It was about three blocks from Waikiki. We ate some island food at Dukes. Without further adieu, we headed to the beach. No need wasting any more time. Someone was especially anxious to hit the waves. The 80 degree temperature and the nice ocean breeze just added to the ambiance. Carol, Rick and I were out floating in the water when someone we recognized came swimming by. Hummmmm, who was that tanned, lean machine? Andy the pseudo Hawaiian surprised us and I must say it was wonderful to see him again. He and his sidekick Tanner. A little sand and surf can soothe the soul. Watching the sun dip below the water at sundown is a sight to behold. Mom was soaking it all up in an easy chair on the beach. A nice soak in the hot tub at the hotel afterward wasn't bad either.
Day one of a vacation in paradise.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I am super jealous.

VFR said...

I'm not jealous . . . because I was there! It was a great vacation. Great ocean, great waves, wonderful scenery, great company. This was one of the best vacations yet, Vonnie. Thanks for the pictures.

Jord said...

What a fun trip Mom! I'm glad to get the play by play and think you all deserved such a great vacation!