Monday, April 25, 2011

The assassination revisited


I've always been a BIG fan of Abraham Lincoln. I think it started when our dad worked for Lincoln National Life Insurance Company. Abe's picture was on his stationary and the company also gave him some cool Lincoln memorabilia for his office. He even had some life-size-plaster-of-paris-casts of Lincoln's hands that were painted a bronze color. They were huge hands.
(I wonder where those went...)
Anyway, as I said, I've always been a big fan. I memorized the Gettysburg address when I was a kid and I loved seeing the Lincoln memorial in Washington DC the most of all the monuments when we visited Washington. There is a sacred spirit there and it is awesome to read the words engraven on the walls of some of Lincoln's most memorable addresses.
So when I saw this cover story, I was drawn to it. It presents an interesting perspective on the civil war and the actual cause of the civil war that happened 150 years ago. Was the war fought over slavery or was it fought for state's rights and the preservation of the union? The losses in human life were staggering - which left more than 625,000 dead — more Americans killed than in both world wars combined. It's an interesting read and even more interesting to find out more about that time period and some of the events that happened then. It's also very sobering to think that Americans are still suffering from some of the consequences from that war.
Which brings me to a couple of recommendations on the topic:

I highly recommend this book.
I began reading Manhunt over a long weekend. By the end of the day I had accomplished none of the chores and errands I had hoped to scratch off my list, but instead found myself 350 pages into this book. I eventually pried myself away long enough to get some sleep and then promptly finished it up the next morning. Though I am a lover of history, rarely has my attention been held as long and as rapt as with this work of non-fiction. I highly recommend it.

AND

Be sure to see this movie. It is so well done, thought provoking and powerful.


(I still think she knew more about the plot to assassinate the President than she let on.) What do you think?

3 comments:

VFR said...

Wonderful post, Vonnie. Lincoln is our greatest president, I think, closely followed by Washington. Certainly the Lord raised up these men for the very purposes of establishing and preserving our country.

Lee said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I can't wait to read/see!

Jord said...

I love Abe as well and will check out that book and see the movie for sure. Thanks Mom!