Monday, November 8, 2010

10 down, 10 to go

Here I am riding my childhood bike that I got when I was in third grade. It is still going strong, almost 50 years later. My mom uses it during the winter months in her warm location, but I hope to get it back when she is finished using it.
Going through the gradual estrogen loss to menopause, I put on 20 pounds. Luckily I wasn't already overweight, so the added 20 didn't look terrible. It just made my clothes fit too tight or not at all. I had to get size 14 pants. I hated that the most of all. I wanted to keep eating the way I've always eaten. I didn't want to have to exercise (which I despise) and I didn't want to have to think about the pounds that were slowly accumulating. Too bad for me. Weight gain is inevitable for most of us. At least I got to age 50 before this reality hit me. Now my new reality is this:
~I have to exercise every day. I don't want to, but I have to. I've probably been exercising every day for about 5 years now. I started out walking. One summer I did a challenge at work and walked 1,000,000 steps. I wore a pedometer and walked more than 10,000 steps a day. That helped curb the weight gain, but didn't help to reverse it. I joined Curves (again) and went for a solid year. I assume it did some internal good and probably some muscle toning, but I didn't lose weight or very many inches. I quit and joined the Rec Center for $77 a year when I turned 55. Now I do a pilates class for an hour three times a week and lift weights and work out hard on the elliptical or treadmill the other two days. I go with a friend (my secret to success) and I actually sweat. Pilates is kicking my butt (no pun intended.) I can tell a big difference. I had to step up my exertion to lose some weight. And guess what, I lost 10 pounds in the last six months. It was very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very...hard.
~I can't eat as much as I use to. I should only eat about 1,200 calories a day. I sit a lot during the day at work, so I'm not burning calories. I have to eat smaller proportions and think about what I'm eating. If I don't like it a lot, I stop consuming the calories. I eat more fiber, more fresh fruits and veggies and drink more water. During the week I don't eat sweets but I allow myself to have some dessert on weekends. I can't eat late at night or drink calories either, although I do love juice on occasion (it's loaded with carbs...) I eat a high fiber cooked cereal for breakfast. I absolutely refuse to drink protein shakes. Tried it, hated it.
~ I don't have anything to prove to anybody. I just want to wear my regular clothes and not get new ones. I just want to do this for me. I do think I have a little more energy, but otherwise I don't see huge benefits. I just know I need to do it for better health down the road.
~My size 12 pants are feeling good now. I really just want to stay a size 12, but I need to lose 10 more pounds to get to a better BMI. I'm still packing that horrible mid-waist mid-life weight.
So, wish me luck. I've signed up for a challenge at work not to gain more than 2 pounds from now until January 3. I'm determined to succeed and then keep working on the remaining 10 pounds after the new year!

4 comments:

Lee said...

Way to go Von--- it is hard to maintain, and esp hard to lose at "our"age (even though I'm 6 years younger:) It's a good thing for me that I LOVE exercising and do as much as I can fit into my life whether I need/want to lose weight or not. How did I get so lucky. Also (unlike you) I LOVE the taste of water and drink it by the gallons. I have to lose a few pounds for the wedding, and maintain it all through the holidays. Uggg- should be fun!~

VFR said...

Good for you, Vonnie. I'm proud of you for exercising like a trooper, even though you don't like it. You are setting a good example by doing it. Keep up the good work.

tutus n bowties said...

Well done! You always look awesome Vonnie. I'm super sad about not being able to be there for dinner on Sunday... I might have to stop in for a visit :)

Jamie Jo said...

I can't believe you still have that bike! That's awesome! Doesn't it stink how hard it is to lose? It comes so easy to some people, and it is so hard for others...like me. I was 20 pounds lighter at this time last year and I have been trying to get it back off (Again!) and it is not happening like it use to. I'm working out, and I'm counting calories, and the scale is not moving. So I might have to resign myself to just doing all that to keep the scale from moving up. I wish I could go to pilates with you. My gym doesn't offer a full pilates class. I wish it did. I also wish a size 12 looked as good on a 5'4" frame as it does on 6'!!