A few weeks ago we attended a youth activity in our area. A musical number was announced and we watched a young high school age boy go up to the microphone and another young man get his violin ready to play. They were accompanied by a pianist. Rick and I thought it would be a typical youth musical number and waited to hear what they would perform. We weren't expecting what happened next...the young man who sang literally took our breath away. He had an absolutely clear and beautiful voice and he sang the song Savior, Redeemer of my Soul with such feeling that it brought tears to my eyes. He sounded very much like the male artist in the last clip included below. The text was written by Orson F. Whitney many years ago and the music was added to the text and written by Rob Gardner for the musical called Joseph Smith, the Prophet.
This kind of music really touches my heart. I hope you enjoy a beautiful piece of music with such meaningful words. I add my love for the Savior to this message and hope you can feel the spirit of it as I did. "Never can I repay thee, Lord. But I can love thee."
Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.
Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.
CHOIR
O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.22
The first clip is from the musical Joseph Smith, the Prophet and you can read more about it here. I've included two versions to listen to. One is performed by a female artist with a full orchestra and choir and the other is the version that can be heard at the conclusion of the movie 17 Miracles. by a male artist. Both are wonderful.
(The song starts at the 2 minute 14 second marker.)
1 comment:
This is as spiritually moving a piece of music as I've heard in a long time. Definitely, it is good for the soul. Thanks for the post, Vonnie.
Post a Comment