Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Politics


I'll admit that I've very interested in them. Politics that is. Maybe my interest started in high school when I took US Government & Debate. Maybe it was visiting the Idaho State Capitol when I was in high school and watching the legislature in session and learning about how laws are made. Maybe it was marrying my husband who had a father who was very active in politics. Maybe it was going to Washington DC on a couple of occasions and feeling the great spirit of that place. Maybe it was in reading about our government and the leaders in our country in the newspaper online most every day and realizing the power that is in their hands to affect our lives for the better or for the worse. Maybe it was being involved in the planning commission in our town and seeing how city governments are managed and how things get done. Whatever the reason, I'm just interested.
I follow the national scene. I follow the state scene. I follow the city scene. Somehow I got elected to represent our voting precinct as chair at the next county and state conventions coming up in April. I had to stand up in front of 120 people or so and state my political views. Evidently those views are held by others in our precinct. I'm looking forward to participating in our state and country government process. I'm looking forward to adding a vote for a MODERATE Republican approach in Utah. I'm tired of the ultra-conservatives having their way all the time. I'm tired of various groups taking the GOP platform and turning in into something that is unrecognizable. I'm tired of hearing from the Eagle Forum and their ultra-conservative views and for having them hijack the party. I don't think the Tea Party movement has had a positive affect on our country. I think it's time for moderates to stand up and be heard.
Now I'm receiving three or four phone calls from pollsters a day to find out how I feel about different candidates and different political issues and problems facing our nation. I'm receiving lots of fliers and mailings from the candidates trying to sway my vote their direction. I'm going to various neighborhood meetings to meet the candidates and hear their views. If they're ultra- conservative or extreme constitutionalists, I'm not going that direction. My belief is that if we're going to get anything done in this country, then we absolutely HAVE to meet in the middle. Neither the liberals or the conservatives get the luxury of having it their way. If we are going to succeed, I believe that we have to talk. Compromise. Work together. Give some. It may be an overly simplistic political view, but nothing else seems to be working so maybe the politicians should give cooperation a try. One can hope!
There are really only two issues that I personally have strong feelings about. One is against abortion. Another is the holding on to traditional views of what constitutes a marriage.
Our country is too great to have it ripped in two by the uncompromising voices on either end of the spectrum . We've almost become our own worst enemies. We need to do what is in the best interest of the nation.
I'm with Mitt Romney.
More jobs.
Less debt.
Smaller government.
and...
No Obama.

1 comment:

VFR said...

Great post, Vonnie. Thanks for being involved in the political process. I think we have to be, and that it is required of us by virtue of being citizens. It also ought to be an article of our faith as church members. Those who don't get involved are not doing their civic or church duty.