Sunday, February 26, 2012

Young Women camp


I've mentioned before that I've spend a goodly amount of time in my life with girls at a summer girls camp up in the mountains not far from here. I'm preparing to go again. I'm pretty sure that this will be my 20th year...yikes!
Our wonderful ward president and I have been attending some camp training. Even though I've been so many times, I always learn something new when I go to a camp training meeting. At the very least, it helps me to remember why we do what we do. As I've mentioned before, it has less to do with actual camping (although we do plenty of that) and more to do with getting the girls out in nature so that they can feel the spirit of our Heavenly Father. These goals really are at the forefront of our preparation and planning for a great experience for our Young Women:
  • Draw closer to Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
  • Feel the influence of the Spirit.
  • Serve others.
  • Build friendships and unity.
  • Learn skills.
  • Appreciate God's creations.
  • Have fun!!!
Our stake joined together with the surrounding states over 40 years ago to purchase property in the mountains for this purpose. Recently, we were made aware of this fantastic web site that is for all who need ideas for girls camp preparation, as well as containing policies and procedures for this particular Camp Shalom. Check it out here. It's a great resource if you are or will ever be a Young Woman leader who "gets" to go to girls camp. Be sure to scroll through the handout section because it contains a lot of good information.
Plus, we got to listen to this classy and amazing woman and hear her thoughts on the subject. It was truly inspirational.

No comments: