Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Learning from Groundhog Day

The country's most famous groundhog predicted an early spring today! He didn't see his shadow!!! Phil has seen his shadow 98 times and hasn't seen it just 16 times since 1887, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's Inner Circle, which runs the event. Hooray!!! It was 1 degree when I went to exercise this morning, so this is great news! Spring is on the way.

Besides predicting the weather for the next six weeks, Groundhog day is also a time to contemplate if we're making progress in life and learning from our mistakes. As I was driving to work, the radio announcers were inviting people to call in and tell about experiences in their lives that they would never want to repeat. Some were funny and some were sad as they spoke of serious mistakes they had made with money, relationships, family or employment.

Groundhog Day is best known as the day when Punxsutawney Phil emerges from his burrow to forecast the arrival of spring. If he sees his shadow winter continues for six more weeks. If he doesn’t, then warmer weather is on the way. This repetitive celebration was highlighted in the 1993 film “Groundhog Day.” And it’s a great time to ask yourself if you’re falling into the trap of repetition. Make this year different and avoid repeating the same mistakes by breaking the Groundhog Day cycle.

Stopping a bad habit is tough, especially if you don’t have anything to replace it with. Think about the habits that are keeping you from reaching your goals. Now find out ways you can replace those bad habits with more productive ones.

Make new goals for yourself that will lead you out of your tendency to repeat the past. Write your goals down and spread the word. Tell friends and family members about what you’re aspiring to achieve and that way they can help keep you accountable if they see you falling into your old rut. Avoid repeating the same mistakes. It's easier said than done.

Someone once said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Remember this movie? It has a good message, even if it is very annoying to watch!

3 comments:

tutus n bowties said...

First off yahoo! Can't wait for warmer weather. Second of all breaking bad habits is sooo hard... every morning I tell myself I will go to bed early and ever night I tell myself I will do it tomorrow. Grrr! It's a constant argument in my head. Last of all, I kind of like that movie. I might just have to watch it tonight in celebration of an early Spring.

VFR said...

Thanks for the post, Vonnie. That is a great movie, and the message is very good. It is a good time to think about changing a bad habit for a good one.

Jord said...

I loved this show!