Monday, February 14, 2011

He's not hopelessly unromantic





Happy Valentines Day
Rick and I got engaged in late January of 1979 in the Provo temple. When February rolled around, it was our first Valentines Day as a newly engaged couple. I was living in a house on campus called "the Management House." It was an actual home that was located between the Marriott center and the ASB and it was used by home economics students as a labratory. It is no longer there, but for a time it was the location of some romantic encounters between yours truly and her fiancee. I lived in the house with eight other women students and an adviser for four months. The class was set up to have us learn how to "manage" meals and to learn to entertain properly. I loved the hands on learning experience and also the opportunity it gave me to entertain my fiancee in a home setting with a dining room, china and all the accouterments of home entertaining. This home was the location of the meeting of our two families as well and I made the meal, served it and did the entertaining as my final project.
Anyway, on Valentines Day of 1979, I got a personal add in the student newspaper. Here it is:


My fiancee also bought me flowers that were delivered to the management house. No one had ever sent me flowers before! I made him dinner with all the management house finery and we had a romantic candle light dinner. I remember it so well. There was also some kissing involved.
Rick said he thought that he wasn't very romantic and he said he had a hard time thinking of a plan for a valentine surprise. He succeeded very well that year and we have had some wonderful Valentine Days together over the years as well.
He's perfected his ability to plan a romantic evening and now he is a pro at it. Last Friday he told me to be ready to leave the house at 4:30 pm for an evening surprise. He said I should dress up and that we would be gone all evening. He took me to the Roof restaurant at the top of the Joseph Smith building AND


he took me to hear the Utah Symphony at Abravanel Hall with piano soloist Joyce Yang. It was a perfectly romantic evening with my sweetheart of 33 years. Happy Valentines Day to my best friend! I love you so.

5 comments:

Lee said...

Wow- impressive Ricky- and it sounds like he didn't need any training from you (like some other men I know did. . .) that's great. I'm glad you had a nice time this weekend. Thanks for hosting J&B this Sat. night. Jess will bring the wedding dress back (which was cleaned :) and also an off white peacoat that's a little too big for me now that you're welcome to if you'd like it

Vonnie said...

Thanks for the post, Vonnie. It is wonderful to have you to go on Valentine's Day dates with. You are my valentine - and forever will be. I love you.

vfr

tutus n bowties said...

Well done Rick! I never have heard that story. I love it! I'm glad you had a fun night out on the town.

Andy said...

holla at cha boi poppa vern!

Jord said...

That ad is classic and I'm glad you kept it in your records. Dad does pretty well for a bald guy.