We all have work to do. Life is work. Some people have easy work assignments for a time and others have difficult and laborious assignments or tasks to perform in this life. Over the course of our lifetime, our work in life will probably run the gamut between ease and difficulty. That's why we are here - to be tested. Sometimes the testing isn't to our liking and we want to avoid the lessons to be learned. The work is too hard and we don't want to continue.
Working in life applies to many different experiences. Our life's work may include leaving our homes and going to a different place for employment or it may involve taking care of others, or it may involve doing both. One is no less valuable than the other. There are as many jobs to be done as people who do them. We work on our relationships. We work for monetary gain. We work for security and enjoyment. I believe that even happiness requires work.
My thought on the topic of "keep up the good work" is to do whatever job or assignment we have in life to the best of our ability. We are all unique individuals who have different skills, abilities and talents. I believe that part of the test of mortal life is to figure out what gifts we have been given and then to find a way to share those gifts for the benefit of others. By sharing, we benefit in immeasurable ways.
My dad frequently signed off his letters with the following words when I was a missionary serving in Argentina "Keep up the good work." He meant: Keep going. Keep working. Keep trying. Keep doing. Keep becoming. Keep achieving. Keep getting up in the morning and putting one foot in front of the other.
A dear friend my husband and I have had for years has reduced success in life down to three action items: 1) Get up 2) Show up 3) Shut up. It's a simple formula for success as far as I'm concerned, with the possible addition of "keep up the good work" added in at the end.
I read a book a few years ago called "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." It caused me to think more about life and about what I can make of my own life. I thought about my many blessings and it helped to put my life in perspective. What if the only "work" that could be done was in one's own mind? Would I like my own company? How would I reach out to others? Would I reach out to others or would I dissolve into self pity?
I've discovered that I feel best about myself when I "work" for the benefit of others and try to help someone. I don't always do a great job at it, but I know that I feel most worthwhile as a person when I do.
The world has need of willing men (and women) who wear the worker's seal.
Come, help the good work move along. Put your shoulder to the wheel.
Put your shoulder to the wheel; push along. Do your duty with a heart full of song.
We all have work; let no one shirk. Put your shoulder to the wheel.
5 comments:
I am going to watch The Diving Bell movie soon - it just arrived from Netflix. Good thoughts on work. I am a good worker when I want to be, but need to learn how when I don't want to (when it's something I'm not interested or invested in). You and pops are very good examples of hard workers. Maybe this is why I'm going on Trek!
Work (some would say service) is the rent we pay for the space we occupy on the earth, or so it seems to me. Von is a great worker, and I'd like to think I know a thing or two about work. It is what keeps us going. Good post, Vonnie!
Mom, you sure did your best to teach me to work (Saturday morning chores, deep cleaning, etc.) and I hope that I've turned out ok!
That is a good title for your blog and you definitely are a worker Mother. I'm glad that I've had your example to look to and can't count a day worthwhile unless I've accomplished some thing or anther.
Dave, you turned out to be a great worker. I think all you kids learned to work and did an espcially good job working (starting at age 15 at Timp Bookstore for real pay and summer jobs doing the little cleaning services like car washing and window washing for neighbors) for other people for pay. You earned your own "bubble gum money" as my dad use to discribe it, which helped out a lot. You all worked through college to help out and you know how to work now. I'm proud of you all!
Post a Comment