Monday, July 28, 2008

EHG - his influence continues


We recently held a little memorial with our children when they were home for a few days for my dad EHG who passed away 25 years ago. We listened to a cassette tape of a talk he gave years ago in our home stake in Idaho. It was wonderful to hear his voice on tape, to hear his testimony and his love expressed for this great land. We also watched his funeral that someone recorded all those years ago and I'm so happy my children could watch it and learn more about my dad through it.


I put together this shadow box in his memory and showed it to the kids at the memorial. I received these personal items of his after he passed away on July 8, 1983. They include the following items:
*a baby picture of me with dad in Rupert at the little red house where we lived
*a Lincoln National Life (the insurance company he worked for) tie clip
*a handkerchief with the letter "E" monogrammed on it. He always carried a handkerchief in his pocket
*his wedding ring
*a picture of him in his military army uniform from WWII
*the last pair of eyeglasses that we wore
*scouting pins representing all the years he spent working in the scouting program (he earned the award of Silver Beaver)
*a picture of him in front of our home in Rupert in his farm clothes. He remodeled the house at least four times to "add on" rooms and fix things up for it to be a comfortable home.
*a little tractor to remember all the farm work he did on our 40 acres
*black bow tie to represent all the "black tie" events he and mom went to on Lincoln National Life conventions all over the world, earned as a reward for his success as an insurance salesman
*a wedding picture of me with mom and dad in the living room in Rupert where the reception was held
*my graduation picture with dad from Minico. He taught school there for 32 years and I took drafting from him my senior year
*a leather coin purse with "Berlin" tooled into the leather - a memento from the war
*my silver dollar, the last dollar he symbolically gave me when Rick and I were married, presented in the family room in Rupert
*his missionary copy of the Book of Mormon with his missionary card
*a picture of him at Acapulco, Mexico playing in the surf while attending a LNL convention. Dad always loved to have a good time and play with us kids when he had time.

***************************************************


I still miss him, even after all these years. I sometimes just burst into tears at odd times and for different reasons thinking about him. His premature death changed the trajectory of all our lives, especially the live of my Mother. I’m so proud of her for carrying on through it all and remaining positive and productive and doing what she needed to do to survive. Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like with him here over these last 25 years. How different would we all be? I have no doubt that his influence would have been felt and that he would have had a hand in leading his family in love. I think he would be delighted to see the growth that has taken place and he would have loved to meet and know all the wonderful in-laws and grandchildren who have come into the family over these last 25 years. I know he would take great pleasure in his family.
I just hope that when we meet again, that he will be proud of me and of what I’ve tried to accomplish. We were all robbed of his presence and influence, but maybe it’s made us stronger and more independent because we’ve had to proceed without his leadership. He is still the voice in my head and my great example in how to live life. His ways with people, his priorities, his values, his strength in the church and in all that really matters continue to be a great example to me. We lost a lot when we lost Dad, but we’re persevered and hopefully learned something in the process. I do believe that "all these things..have given us experience....and have been for our good." Who would have thought that 25 years ago? It is truly through trials and pain that we learn so many of the experiences that need to be learned and that can only be learned through the process of going through the trial.
I wonder how often he can see us and what he knows of his wife, kids and grandkids. I know it sounds cliché, but I can’t wait to see him again. Since we celebrated Father’s day a month ago, I’ve been thinking a lot about my Heavenly Father who I’ve never seen and of my earthly father who I know well. I owe them both so much and I can’t wait to “again behold his face.”

3 comments:

Jord said...

That is a very sweet tribute Mom. Everything I've heard about Grandpa is wonderful and I am glad to see his example living through in you.

VFR said...

Wonderful post, Von. You are the most like your dad of all the kids in the EHG family, and it is great that his influence lives on and on in your life, mine, and those of your kids.

marcy said...

Vonnie, I remember the time your parents came to Palm Springs, I believe in 1975 and invited me to lunch with them just because I was your friend. It was so kind and thoughtful. I also remember visiting Rupert with you and how welcoming they were. You had a wonderful father and you are so much like he was. Love you Vonnie and I think this tribute iw wonderful. Marcy