For as long as I can remember, we've subscribed to a daily newspaper. It just wouldn't seem right to go through the day without reading a newspaper and finding out what's going on in the world, the nation and the community. Both Rick and I came from homes where our parents subscribed to the newspaper and read it daily. There have been days when we don't get the chance to read the paper, but we read the paper many more days per week than we don't. I also enjoy reading the paper online, espcially if I'm busy and can't sit down to read the entire thing, at least I can catch the highlights. A good daily paper can do several things for a reader, such as: inform, enlighten, entertain and teach. We currently subscribe to the Deseret Morning News. We also take the Daily Herald on weekends. Rick likes to lie down on the living room couch and read the paper from cover to cover most evenings. It relaxes him and he doesn't feel good about the accomplishments of the day if reading the newspaper isn't among them. He especially enjoys the sports page, Tips from Heloise, the comics and the ads from Big 5. He has learned some fabulous tips from Heloise, such as how to clean your bathtub with shampoo and baking soda - which he does with some regularity. I know my Mom and her husband enjoy the cross word puzzle section, among other things. I especially enjoy the editorial section, the column from Ann Cannon and the relatively new weekly pull-out section called Mormon Times. We both like to read movie and theater reviews and letters to the editor. We find it amusing and interesting to read what other people write and to have a glimpse into their thought processes. It spurs good conversation. Reading the paper and sharing what we have read has been a great way to stay connected and share our thoughts and feelings about current events. I highly recommend it!
Thursday, July 31, 2008
the Daily Newspaper
For as long as I can remember, we've subscribed to a daily newspaper. It just wouldn't seem right to go through the day without reading a newspaper and finding out what's going on in the world, the nation and the community. Both Rick and I came from homes where our parents subscribed to the newspaper and read it daily. There have been days when we don't get the chance to read the paper, but we read the paper many more days per week than we don't. I also enjoy reading the paper online, espcially if I'm busy and can't sit down to read the entire thing, at least I can catch the highlights. A good daily paper can do several things for a reader, such as: inform, enlighten, entertain and teach. We currently subscribe to the Deseret Morning News. We also take the Daily Herald on weekends. Rick likes to lie down on the living room couch and read the paper from cover to cover most evenings. It relaxes him and he doesn't feel good about the accomplishments of the day if reading the newspaper isn't among them. He especially enjoys the sports page, Tips from Heloise, the comics and the ads from Big 5. He has learned some fabulous tips from Heloise, such as how to clean your bathtub with shampoo and baking soda - which he does with some regularity. I know my Mom and her husband enjoy the cross word puzzle section, among other things. I especially enjoy the editorial section, the column from Ann Cannon and the relatively new weekly pull-out section called Mormon Times. We both like to read movie and theater reviews and letters to the editor. We find it amusing and interesting to read what other people write and to have a glimpse into their thought processes. It spurs good conversation. Reading the paper and sharing what we have read has been a great way to stay connected and share our thoughts and feelings about current events. I highly recommend it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It does seem that one should read the newspaper out of a sense of civic duty - you can't be truly informed about what is going on without doing so. I LOVE reading the newspaper, and feel that the day is not complete without reading it.
ree ree
I still can't bring myself to read that paper since I hate how it feels and how it gets your hands so dirty. Thank goodness for magazines and the Internet.q
Post a Comment