Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Two bumps in the road

Some of you dear readers may also read the blog of my daughter Jordan.  If so, then you know there has been a bump in the road with her husband Jake.  See here. While we are saddened that this sweet family faces another hurdle, we know that they will face that hurdle with hope and courage.  They have felt the love of the Lord in their lives and great comfort that they are headed in the right direction with the treatment options they have chosen.  We pray always for them and for all of us to know how to help them, what to say and not say, how to act and how to make them the center of our concern. This is a very heavy burden for this little family, but as I read the scriptures, I find great peace and comfort in the promises of the Lord as I know they do too.

Also....my sweet sister Carol and her husband Robert are going through a similar trial.  Robert too has a GBM brain tumor.  It seems surreal that Carol lost her first husband to a brain tumor and now after remarriage many years later, finds that her second husband suffers from the same condition.  Robert recently underwent a second brain surgery and is now home recuperating.

Our concern, hope and prayers go to both of these good men and their families as they go through surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation and follow-up treatments.  It almost seems too much to bear, but my hope and prayer is that they and we as supporters will be equal to the task. 

I love this passage in the Book of Mormon,   Mosiah 24:14–16.

The Lord said unto them, I will … ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that … you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
“And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

“And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.”

And also this talk by L Whitney Clayton entitled "That their Burdens May be Light."

We hope and pray that their burdens may be light and that they will have the strength to bear their burdens as well as possible (I don't know about the submit cheerfully part, with ease and patience), but that they will feel the love of the Lord in their lives, the love of family and friends and the knowledge that they are not alone and never will be. 

Another promise of the Lord:
 
Matthew 11: 28-30
 28 ¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Thanks for the post, Vonnie, and for helping us remember that the gospel can ease burdens, particularly those that are so heavy and seem so difficult.

vfr