Thursday, February 26, 2015

Education. I'm a fan.

I couldn't tell you when it became a priority to me, but I do know this; I'm a huge fan of education for everyone, but especially for girls and women.  Education changes lives.  Education gives opportunities.  Education brings more confidence and security.  Education opens the world of ideas.  Education gives a woman choices. Every sacrifice to obtain an education is worth the effort.  I would encourage every woman I know to go as far as she can in obtaining an education.

Recently BYU began a serious of videos about the back stories of some of the women who teach at BYU.  How did they get to where they are now?  These stories of women at BYU are aimed to inspire education for young women.  Check it out HERE. 

The main message is that "You Can Move Forward."

The BYU Faculty Women’s Association, an organization for female faculty dedicated to promoting a sense of community and supporting women to be successful in their work, wanted to create a way to encourage female students at BYU to finish their schooling.
“There are several types of challenges such as health, family roles, academic difficulties, resources, and personal needs.  Sometimes circumstances imply, ‘you can’t move forward,’ and I wanted to be the voice that said, ‘you can move forward and there are wonderful women here at BYU who can inspire you."
The stories By Study, By Faith are very interesting.   I personally know two of the women fairly well, Dr. Jenny Pulsipher and Dr. Renata Forste.  I love hearing what they have to say about women and education as they share their own experiences. 

As I near my 60th birthday, I think that if I have any regrets, it is that I didn't obtain more education after finishing my bachelor's degree at BYU.  I did start to take classes towards a master's degree, but I couldn't see how to continue since I was working full-time, had a baby and a husband in law school. I've tried to continue life-long learning as opportunities have presented themselves.  I have been able to attend wonderful seminars and conferences and I have been exposed to so many great ideas and to so many different areas of study.  I don't always agree with everything I hear or read, but just knowing other points of view has broadened my horizons and my way of thinking about things.  I've also been very fortunate to work around very smart people for these last 20 years.  It is one of the things I will miss when I quit working...listening to or participating in the sharing of ideas and the defense of those ideas.

I have worked hard to help my children gain an education.  I'm so proud of my sons and daughters and sons-in-law and daughters-in-law who have all valued education and who have worked hard to obtain their own education.  Jordan got a master's degree (MPA) from the U of U, Claire got her degree in accounting from BYU and is now a CPA, Courtney got her master's degree from the U of U in speech pathology and Chelsea graduates this spring from BYU and is then headed to UCLA this fall to pursue her PhD in health Psychology.  Although they may not be currently working outside of their homes, they are working hard inside of their homes to educate their own children and instill in them a love of learning.  If the need or desire ever arises for them to work outside of their homes, they will be ready, capable, and prepared to contribute to society and to earn a comfortable living. They can have peace of mind knowing that they can do what needs to be done because they are prepared. Their education and training is a benefit to them, their families, their church congregations and the community around them.  I"m so proud of them and of all women young and old who pursue higher education or training to make their lives better.


1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Amen to your comments about education, Vonnie. Thanks for making education such a priority in our home. Education is good for the benefits it brings into a person's life. Live is fuller, richer, and much more interesting by virtue of education.

vfr