Friday, February 1, 2013

Live theater...a personal favorite

I've mentioned before that Rick and I love well-done live and musical theater.  We love a good story and we really enjoy seeing it come to life on the stage.  I marvel at the actors ability to remember volumes of lines and to act them out in a way that makes it seem believable and real.  The sets, the lights, the costumes, the action, the music and the staging all add to the experience. I applaud those who bring the stories to life and who make it such an entertaining experience that leaves me with new ideas, new ways of looking at life and different situations and a better appreciation for the arts.  It truly enriches my life.
We've been season ticket holders to Pioneer Theater for four years now.  I love their plays!  We've seen some new works that we have never seen before, and with only a few exceptions, we have enjoyed them in every way.  A couple of weeks ago we say the play "The Philadelphia Story" and it was delightful. Here is the line up of the plays we have been to this year.  Each one has taken us to a different time and place and we have enjoyed the journey!

Tonight we are doing to have another fun and enjoyable experience.  BYU received the rights to do Phantom of the Opera on a campus stage and we will be in the audience ready to enjoy this great musical. I'm looking forward to it! The reviews are great and I think they've gone all out to make it a great theater experience.


Here is a list of the 2012-2013 season line up for Pioneer Theater that we've seen so far.  It is a great date night experience and it is really something we both enjoy doing.


ITH_web.jpg .. Winner of the 2008 Tony Award for Best Musical and Best Score and finalist for the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Drama!

In the Heights

Music and Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Book by Quiara Alegría Hudes, Conceived by Lin-Manuel Miranda
September 14 through September 29, 2012


OMAM_web.jpg The timeless American classic!

Of Mice and Men

By John Steinbeck
October 19 through November 3, 2012
CCTM_web.jpg The spectacular new MUSICAL version of a holiday classic!

A Christmas Carol: The Musical

Music by Alan Menken, Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, Book by Mike Ockrent & Lynn Ahrens
November 30 through December 15, 2012
TPS_web.jpg The sparkling romantic comedy that has charmed generations of theatergoers!

The Philadelphia Story

By Philip Barry
January 11 through January 26, 2013
CP_web.jpg Winner of the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Drama!

Clybourne Park

By Bruce Norris
February 15 through March 2, 2013
OC_web.jpg The laughs never stop in this iconic comedy by America’s best-loved playwright!

The Odd Couple

By Neil Simon
March 22 through April 6, 2013
LesMisPhoto_web.jpg Winner of 5 Tony Awards, including Best Musical!

Les Misérables

A musical by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg, Lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer
May 3 through May 18, 2013
Extra weeks! May 20



2 comments:

VFR said...

Good post, Vonnie! I do love well-performed plays and love going with you.

Patrick said...

So here I as blog stalking you and I came across this post and FOR SURE wanted you two to know about Lindsays play at BYU that opens Next week. She would never brag about it, but I sure will! It's actually two 45 min plays with an intermission between them and they are called 'Gone Missing' which is a production out of NYC where the actors interviewed New Yorkers about something they had lost. The second is called "The Cleverest Thief' and that same NYC company came out to BYU and instructed the students in their methods and then the students went out and interviewed people in Provo about what they had lost. Lindsay has overseen the whole project (about a years time) and I even wrote two songs for the show. We would love for you guys to see it. I know it's totally self promoting, but I read this post and remembered you were people who influenced my love of theater and so I wanted to share with you this cool thing happening in our lives.

So glad you are doing well and that you are done with that mean medicine. It was so great to see you in the store and I hope to see you again soon!