Today was my LAST radiation treatment. Hooray!!! They started on January 7 and I have gone in every day at 2:30 pm Monday-Friday since then. The first 25 treatments were to my upper chest area where the tumor was located and the last 8 treatments have been what they refer to as a "boost" that is concentrated in an oval shape right on the surgery area. I got two doses of radiation from each side from the radiation machine for the first 25 treatments and then directly down into the surgery area for the last 8. The side effects have been manageable - fatigue, redness, peeling, some general discomfort to the radiated area and some occasional pin prick pains in the radiated area. I think they have figured out that radiating from each side causes fewer side effects, rather than directing the radiation directly in to the body for all 33 treatments. My white blood cell counts have gone down, but they should rebound in the next couple of weeks once treatment stops. Dr. Clark the oncologist radiologist has been wonderful as well as his staff who I have seen every day for the last 33 days. They are kind people who are perfectly suited to the job they do every day.
I've now finished the triathlon! Surgery. Chemotherapy. Radiation. I had surgery on July 20, 2012 and now I finish radiation on February 20, 2013 exactly 7 months later. The oncologist and the radiologist will continue to be check my blood for any signs of the cancer returning and I will have several mammograms this year to make sure that all is well. The doctors both reiterated that they feel like I have an excellent chance (90%) of no re-occurrence since the cancer was caught so early and it was only a stage I cancer. We'll continue to hope and pray that that is the case.
So now, on to celebrate the end of treatment! I'm going to give myself a couple of weeks to get stronger and then I'm ready to party. They say that it takes about a year to get regular strength and energy back, so I'm giving myself time to heal.
Rick and his mother are throwing me a party! It will be near my 58th birthday as well. It will be an open house to Celebrate Life on Saturday, March 9 from 2-4 pm. All friends and family are invited. If you want more information, just let me know. The end of treatment really is cause to put a HUGE smile on my face. I'm so grateful I survived it. I'm grateful for what I've learned along the way. I'm grateful for ALL the many people who have supported me and helped me get through it. I'm just grateful.
*I will still continue to receive my Herceptin infusions through my port every 3 weeks until August. They will continue for one year from the time they started in August of 2012. While the drug doesn't cause any major side effects, it can cause heart damage, so I will continue to get periodic echo cardiograms to make sure my heart is staying strong. After that time, I can get the port removed from my chest.




7 comments:
WOW, such good news, and such an ordeal. You are the best woman ever. I pray you will be back to your busy, productive, schedule so soon. So many of us depend on you to keep the world turning. You are loved and respected by so many. Have a lovely day!!! Connie
Congratulations on completing the trialthon. Celebrating from here :)
Hooray! What awesome news!! I am so happy for you. This is a day to remember for sure!! Way to go!
Thank you, Vonnie, for your bravery, your positive attitude, your cheerfulness, and your fortitude. You made it! You are heroic in my eyes and in those of so many others. We love you! I love you!
I'm so happy for you to be all done! (well, almost). The celebration party sounds fun! I'll get back to you on if we can make it!
Wow, you made it Mom!!! I am so very proud of your courage and faith through this trial and am so glad that you can celebrate!!!
Hurray Vonnie!!! I'm so glad the worst of it is over and you can move on, get stronger and have a party with all of your loved ones! Wish I could be there to help celebrate. But just know that I am super happy for you and I'm very impressed with the positive attitude you've had throughout this whole thing. You are such a great example to me.
Post a Comment