Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy 90th birthday dear father

"It is a wise father that knows his own child."
~ William Shakespeare

Had he lived, my dad would have been 90 years old today. Happy Birthday Dad!
He's been gone for over 28 years now but his influence lives on.
I've been thinking a lot about him lately.
About all he accomplished in his short 61 almost 62 years on this earth.
About his influence on my life and the lives of my six siblings, my mother and well, just about every person who came in contact with him. He was like that. He influenced people. He was outgoing and he loved to engage people in conversation. He showed an interest and he remembered names and events that were important to different people. He encouraged. He complimented. He had a great sense of humor. He love me. He loved us all.

I have a bunch of letters he wrote me while I served my mission in Argentina during the years of 1976-1978. Here is a little look at the kind of man he was:
Dear Sister G:
That is what I'm to call you, isn't it? Hi Von - I'm here at the office, so thought I should drop my two missionaries a line (my brother Paul was serving at the same time in England.) I'm sure mother told you we received a letter from the Elder. Now she can sleep nights. I'll have to go through that again when you leave (that mother!) We were happy to hear that Paul is now in his place and ready to go. I know he will do well, but have a fun time.
I understand you put in a full day. Don't you just love it? Time goes by fast when you're busy. I know it's hard, but I also know you can do it, so I don't worry. This experience will be some thing that will live with you always and will be one of the high lights of your life. You only have one chance for this and it's now so even though it's hard work you are learning some things that will help you all your life. In a few years you won't think of how hard you worked, but how happy you were and what enjoyment you had from the experience.
We look forward to your letters and reports of progress. Everyone asks about you and everyone says "That Von is something."I know that. Keep up the good work. We are all with you.
I've been playing a little golf. We had a nice time over to Bear Lake. I lost "ten" to your mother. I didn't think that party would get off the ground, but it did. I'm even going the extra mile this week. I'm taking her to the Johnson reunion at Ogden on Saturday. I'll try and be nice.
We look forward to hearing from you. Keep happy and enjoy yourself. We think of you and send our love. Dad.

The title of this blog is dedicated to my Dad who taught me to "Keep up the Good Work" I've tried through the years to do just that. I wouldn't want to disappoint my dad in any way and I hope that I can be successful in that goal. I love you dear Dad. Happy 90th.

Here's a couple more links to previous posts on EHG.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Thats sweet Von. Mom and I visited his grave this morning. He always had great advice, and you knew he loved you for sure. The advice he gave you as a missionary is sound, and I plan to pass it on to my boys when the time comes. Thanks for sharing

tutus n bowties said...

I love hearing or reading things about Grandpa. He always sounds like an amazing guy and his family is living proof of it.

VFR said...

Earl is a wonderful man, a man's man, interesting to talk to, interested in whom he is talking to, and faithful to his principles and religion. I am always grateful that he and I got to know each other well, even though he passed away not too long (three or four years) after I came on the scene. I miss him, and I will always be grateful for his influence in your life, Vonnie, and in mine, and through you, in the lives of our children. Keep up the good work!!