








Southern food is the best! We decided to avoid all national chains and to eat in as many local restaurants as possible. Jordan had a great app on her phone that would look for places to eat that had great reviews within a certain radius. While she and Jake were with us we used the app to find great places to eat. After they left to go home, we would just ask the locals to recommend great places to eat. Southern cooking includes some GREAT food such as:
southern fried chicken, cornbread muffins, black-eyed peas, fried green tomatoes, okra, grits, chicken and gravy, dumplings, country friend steak and gravy, BBQ ribs, liver and onions, pork chops, hush puppies, buttermilk biscuits, shrimp and grits, pot likker, collard greens, creamed fresh corn, macaroni and cheese (southern style), sweet potato souffle, bread pudding, sweet potato pie, Georgia peach cobbler, lemon meringue pie, egg custard, and pecan pie just to name a few.
One of our favorite places was the Four Way Soul Food restaurant in Memphis. Jord's app found the restaurant and we wandered in to eat some of the best food we ate on the whole trip. It was Sunday afternoon and we had just attended church in an LDS Memphis ward. We went into the restaurant where we were the only white folks in the building. All the other guests were dressed in their Sunday best and were just sitting down to their Sunday dinner at the restaurant. We sat next to a Reverend and his family. We were treated so well and we enjoy some wonderful southern food and great hospitality. I think we all enjoyed the experience.
When we were in Atlanta we went to a restaurant called Mary Mac's Tea Room (that was recommended by Sarah Taylor -Diane's daughter) and it was a lot of the same southern food as the Four Way Soul Food, only more white folks were eating at the restaurant. The restaurant put out this great cookbook and I saw it at various locations in Atlanta. I thought I'd wait and see if they had it on Amazon and sure enough, it was there for half the price. I bought four copies for me and my three girls. I can't wait to try cooking some of that great southern food.
7 comments:
Thems were some good eats for sure. It looks like you found some other fun places to eat on the rest of your trip. The pounds were worth it!
That is a great surprise! Thanks for the cookbook. I know Jake is ready to get to work on making some fried chicken and I'm ready to make some sweet potato pie.
This was dang good food, for sure. It was wonderful to be there, and it is wonderful to remember what a great time we had on the trip. Thanks for the post, Vonnie.
While I'm posting, I'll talk about a cheer that I found intriguing at Ole Miss, and it goes like this:
Are you ready?
Hell yes, damn right.
Hotty Totty, Gosh a'mighty
Who the hell are we?
Flim Flam, Bim Bam,
Ole Miss, by damn!
Kind of nonsensical, but pretty interesting when the whole stadium gets into it.
I've never been anywhere south, but I'd love to go just for the food!! Good call on only going to local restaurants. That's the way to go!
Yum!! You are making me very hungry.
This is one reason why I would love to go to the South. I always hear amazing things about the food, and I am a food person! Thanks you so much for dropping off that gift! I can tell it's cute, but waiting for the shower to actually open it. You're the best Von!
That is making me hungry. They use to serve okra at school lunch when we were in Amarillo but I was never a fan.
Post a Comment