Monday, August 21, 2017

Self-reliance iniatives

I have been involved recently in our stake church group on a committee to help people become more self-reliant. There are so many great community resources and LDS church resources available to people who need help. This program was recently rolled out in our church to help train people HOW to help themselves and their families.  I'm so happy that many people in our neighborhood are enrolled in the 12 week courses and on their way to gaining the skills and know how they need to better care for themselves and their families in the areas of:

Starting and Growing My Business


Personal Finances

Find a Better Job

Education for Better Work


There are Pdf downloads of all of these materials for the courses on the web site and anyone who is interested can access the information and get the help they need.  Ingenious!  I love how proactive our church is in helping people help themselves and become more self-reliant.

Also available is a booklet and information called "My Foundation."  These lessons focus on helping each individual strengthen their own foundation in spiritual and temporal ways.  I bought the booklet for each of the families in our family group and invited them to go over the short lessons and corresponding videos, scriptures and quotes in their own weekly Family Home Evening.  I'm hopeful that these lessons will help ALL of us as a family strengthen our own foundation as we strive together to become stronger in all aspects of our lives.  With all the bombardments and strife around us, strengthening our spiritual and temporal foundations is greatly needed now and in the future.


I also made a presentation a few months ago in our stake priesthood meeting, sharing information about resources in our community that help women, especially single women, get ahead in life.  I'm so grateful to serve in these areas and share information that I am passionate about.  I firmly believe that if people have resources and caring people to help them get ahead in life, that they can improve their circumstances and be happier, healthier and better able to assist others.

 "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" 


Community resources for women:

Women’s success center, UVU
Our mission:  Graduating women and transforming lives.
Scholarships available based on need.  Mentors/counselors are available to assist.

Wee Care Center, UVU
Our mission: The Wee Care Center is a licensed childcare facility dedicated to UVU student-parents. The staff serves children from six weeks to twelve years, so students can  attend their classes and study sessions. 
Single parent registration begins July 5th
Married parent registration begins July 10th
Enrollment is first come, first serve. Priority enrollment is given to single parents, low-income families, and students close to finishing their degree.

People Helping People
Our mission:  People Helping People is dedicated to reducing the number of children living in poverty by teaching low-income women, primarily single mothers, how to earn an adequate income through stable employment that pays a living wage.
801-583-5300 or ask for Heidi  Wynn at 801-437-4415
Located on the third floor of the Boy Scouts building in Orem

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

The church has done an extraordinary job with this program. I'm glad you are such a proponent of it and that you know so much about it.

vfr