Even though I don't have as much time as I use to, I STILL love to blog and I'm still going to keep going. I'll admit that I use to blog a lot at work in the early years. I had a job where I was at a desk for long hours each day and some of those hours involved just being there. Blogging was a perfect way to fill those hours. It's kind of crazy now that I am retired, that I don't have time to sit around at a computer anymore. Who would have thought it? I'm almost as busy as I ever was, but now I get to structure my day the way I want to. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being retired! Rick keeps saying that I must be the happiest retired person that he knows. I think I am!
I've given my blog various birthday treats over the years. She and I aren't big chocolate lovers, so she has received some delicious non-chocolate treats. 2008 was her birth, 2009 she received a birthday cake, 2010 a caramel cheesecake, 2011 a lemon cupcake, 2012 Key Lime pie, 2013 Creme brûlée with fresh fruit, 2014 a rootbeer float, 2015 delicious caramel corn, 2016 grandma's cinnamon rolls and this year.....
Tuh duh......
Home made ice-cream!!
Ever since I can remember, I've made homemade ice cream. It all started with my Grandma Mayme. She made homemade ice-cream by the freezer full. She made a special caramel ice-cream that I can still imagine and taste to this day. She used one of these hand crank models and I'm sure that my Grandpa Ray and my dad churned many a batch of caramel ice-cream treats.
We made ice-cream in our home growing up and having it in the summer was especially delightful. My mom made some great ice-cream. I still use her recipe and change up the fruit to go with whatever is in season. I use this type of machine now. We've burned through many, many motors and just this 4th of July, burned out another one. Now I have a new machine and I hope it lasts awhile.
During the winter months when it isn't practical to be outside freezing ice-cream, I use this delightful table top variety. It only makes enough for about 6-8 people, but guests love it when I bust out some freshly made ice-cream. I keep the container in the freezer and it is ready to go at a moments notice and freezes up in about 15 minutes. I've added a crushed up candy bar, fresh fruit, chocolate syrup or just had it plain with a good vanilla flavor.
The recipe I use the most is this one:
Fruit Ice-cream
(can use raspberries, strawberries or peaches)
2 1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
4 cups ground up fruit (we like the fruit blended in the blender so that there aren't big chunks of fruit)
Mix these ingredients and let stand for an hour or so
then add to the ice-cream freezer the blended fruit and sugar mixture and
1 pint cream
1 quart half and half
1 can evaporated milk
It makes about 4 quarts and can be doubled if you have a large ice cream freezer.
We also like this recipe for 3 fruit ice-cream. It is very refreshing in the summertime:
2 cups water
3 cups sugar (dissolve sugar in water and boil for three minutes. Cool completely)
4 oranges juiced
1 lemon juiced
3 large bananas, mashed
1 pint cream
1 quart half and half
1 can evaporated milk
Enjoy birthday girl!




2 comments:
Thanks for the post, Vonnie. I love your blog. Your blog is spiritual, enlightening, practical, humorous, useful, and particularly interesting. Thanks for your dedication to writing it. As to homemade ice cream - there is not much that is better than this for a delicious hot weather treat. You make the best.
vfr
I love that you still blog! I love hearing about what you've been up to and seeing pics. I haven't gotten on here for awhile so it was fun to read a lot of new posts. So sad about the one about mom, but you did a great job documenting it all. So nice of you to put so many pics of jake some Kylee some give them their very own post! I'll be sure and show them! You guys win the prize for being the most supportive extended family 😍😍
Post a Comment