Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Goals for 2016


I have to set goals.  They keep me going, motivated and thinking about worthwhile things to do. Maybe goals are so important to me because we learned how to set and achieve goals in the mission field.  Maybe it is because I worked with Young Women for so many years and goal setting was a major part of what we did.  Whatever it is, I'm a happier person if I have some goals in mind.

I know I set some very ambitious goals last year, but that was by design.  I knew I would be retiring from work and I knew I needed to figure out some ways to stay involved in things I enjoy and that I feel make a difference.  I know myself pretty well and I know that I'm happiest when I'm serving others.  Period. For me, a lot of sitting around doing mindless things is a recipe for disaster. Depression can easily set in and by keeping busy with things I enjoy, I can avoid that condition.

Anyway, I achieved most of my goals last year.  This year, I want to finish up the ones I didn't finish and move on to some new ones.  I put them here for my own use and motivation.  I may be the only one who tracks how I am doing, but putting them down here makes me feel more accountable to myself.
So...with that in mind:

Goals for 2016
1.  Finish sewing something for Lauren, Ellie and Margaret.
2.  Attend a sewing class and learn some new techniques.
3.  Start writing my personal history
4.  Lose 16 pounds in '16 (I'm not giving up!)
5.  Sew many of my Christmas presents for 2016
6.  Do some sort of exercise five days a week
7.  Work on improving a Christ like attribute each month
8.  Read the Old Testament, study the Book of Mormon
9.  Visit with or do something for people who have struggles
10.  Read 16 books

Of course I'll keep dejunking my house
Serving on the UVU WSC board
Serving at the MTC
helping my mother
doing things with people I care about
attending the temple
traveling
reading the Ensign
working on our photo albums
gardening
and best of all...spending time with my husband, children and grandchildren

But, I've discovered I have to have my own stuff apart from anyone else.  Having my own life and my own interests, hobbies and service opportunities takes a concerted effort on my part.  It should be an easy thing to do, but for me it isn't.  It feels so self-absorbed.  Retirement is great, but it is work to be happily retired.  I do love being my own boss and coming and going as I please.  I love being available and able to do things with little notice.  I love the spontaneity and ability I have to set up my own day, week and year.  I have to have some sort of human interaction and dialogue every day, but it is up to me to see that that happens.  I have so many blessings and opportunities and I want to take full advantage of all that I have at this point in my life.  Life is good, but it's up to me to keep it going that way.  There are sad things going on, hard things in our family and extended family that make me sad and heartbroken.  Dwelling on the hard and difficult parts of life isn't healthy.  Worrying about those I love and what they are going through can be overwhelming.  I can't help others if I'm not in good shape physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally and financially.  "Put your own life support on first, then help others" they say. It's what I am trying to do.

1 comment:

Vonnie said...

Thanks for the post, Vonnie, and for keeping us motivated to move forward, set good goals, serve others, and do good things.

vfr