Sunday, January 10, 2016

A very happy start to the New Year

On New Year's eve I was looking through Facebook when I noticed a new private message.  I was thrilled beyond words to find out that one of my last missionary converts in Argentina had contacted me!  His name is Gustavo and on the weekend before I left the country to finish my mission, he and his best friend Roque were baptized.  My companion Hermana Stoddard and I taught them the missionary lessons together.  That was over 38 years ago and I haven't heard anything about them...until this New Year's eve.  A message from Gustavo said "I always remember you, always." Oh man, that made my heart about jump through the roof.
Hermana Stoddard, Roque and Gustavo, December 1977

Gustavo and Roque

Gustavo
I can't even explain how happy it made me to know that these two young boys (they were about 15 years old at the time) had gone on to serve missions and that Roque was currently serving as a Bishop in the ward in Santa Fe and that his daughter is currently serving a mission in Peru.  Joy!  Gustavo is currently living in Wales (trying to learn English and find work) and Roque is still in Argentina.  We chatted over instant messenger and shared a lot of catch up information.  Honestly, at the time you serve a mission, you never know if your efforts will change lives and if the people you find to teach and share the gospel with, will continue on actively participating in the church.  It makes me so very happy to know that these two good boys, who are now men, are doing well.  I suspect that Gustavo is currently less active from some of the news he shared, but I'm hopeful he will return to full activity.   The gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives and gives them purpose and meaning.  I'm so delighted to reconnect with two of my favorite converts, through.....Facebook!  Yeah!!  Now I'm in contact with four of my converts and it brings me such joy to still be a part of their lives.

2 comments:

Andy said...

This is really cool momther

Vonnie said...

Very cool story, Vonnie. A missionary never know what he/she leaves in his/her wake, and how things will turn out, even so many years later. I am proud of your service and grateful for this wonderful story from your mission these many years ago!

vfr