Ten things that supremely happy people do:
- Happy people surround themselves with other happy people. Joy is contagious. People are four times more likely to be happy in the future with happy people around them. So true. It is hard to be around people who complain, whine, criticize, gossip, moan and groan. It is so much funner to be around people who are positive and even though they have challenges, to rise above those challenges and choose to be happy.
- Happy people try to be happy. When happy people don’t feel happy, they cultivate a happy thought and smile about it. I've noticed that happy people get up and get going. They find purpose to their lives. They get out and serve and help and somehow their problems become easier to face.
- Happy people spend money more on others than they spend on themselves. Givers experience what scientists call the “helper’s high.” Spending money on someone is great, but spending time with them is greater, in my opinion. Time spent doing something worthwhile or something the other person is interested in is great fun and so rewarding.
- Happy people have deep in-person conversations. Sitting down to talk about what makes a person tick is a good practice for feeling good about life. I love to talk to people. Everyone who knows me knows this about me. I'm way more interested in talking to someone and finding out about them than watching a movie with them, or playing a game or playing cards (heaven forbid!). Interesting conversation makes me happy!
- Happy people use laughter as a medicine. A good old-fashioned chuckle releases lots of good neurotransmitters. A study showed that children on average laugh 300 times a day versus adults who laugh 15 times a day. My husband and I love to laugh. We've had some very hilarious times and we have had a lot of laughter in our marriage. I love that about him. He makes me laugh on a regular basis. A great sense of humor cannot be under valued!
- Happy people use the power of music. Researchers found that music can match the anxiety reducing effects of massage therapy. I'm a believer in listening to music. I love a wide range of music and I have it going almost constantly. Music is the expression of the soul.
- Happy people exercise and eat a healthful diet. Eating a poor diet can contribute to depression. I don't think people realize the truth of this statement. Getting up and getting moving is a positive thing. Eating well helps the body, mind and spirit. These two essentials (exercise and healthy eating) are extremely important to being happy.
- Happy people take the time to unplug and go outside. Uninterrupted screen time brings on depression and anxiety. I have to limit my screen time. Since I'm on a screen at work for five hours a day already, I have to be careful not to get more screen time when I get home. I love to get out and walk with a friend or by myself listening to some wonderful music. Being in nature rejuvenates the mind and spirit.
- Happy people get enough sleep. When people run low on sleep they are prone to feel a lack of clarity, bad moods and poor judgment. True statement. I don't do well when I haven't been sleeping well. Melatonin helps me and also I find that I cannot nap in the afternoon very often or I can't sleep at night. Finding the right balance is critical, but I'm definably not a happy girl when I haven't had enough rest.
- Happy people are spiritual. I'm a believer, not only is this statement but also in faith and a belief in God. Finding strength beyond our own and knowing we aren't along brings a lot of comfort and peace. Knowing where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going beings a lot of happiness and peace.
Victor Frankl from his book Man’s Search for Meaning said: “Even the helpless victim of a hopeless situation, facing a fate he cannot change, may rise above himself, may grow beyond himself. He may turn personal tragedy into triumph."
Love this article too about expressing gratitude and smiling and how they affect happiness, and this powerful talk from Elder Holland "Like a Broken Vessel."
2 comments:
I saw this article in the paper and thought it was so good that I forwarded it to my girls!
Good post, Vonnie. Much nicer to be happy than not
Post a Comment