More transparency. I'm in favor of it.
In the past decade especially, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has moved towards being more open about why we do what we do as members of the church. Church leaders and PR firms have worked to shed more light on the our history, our doctrine and our practices. The internet has helped to spread the good word about our beliefs, teachings, theology and doctrine.
For example:
Our belief first and foremost in Jesus Christ as the head of our church. The church has published videos recreated to show the life of Jesus Christ as taught in the New Testament. They are not only very well done, but the creators/director/producers have gone to great lengths to assure doctrinal and historical accuracy. The videos are shared with the world at no charge on the internet.
I'm a Mormon campaign is shared in major cities on billboards and buses and other means to show what actual people who are members of our church are like.
Meet the Mormons movie that was recently released in movie theaters across the country. The movie shows the lives of six members of the church and introduces people who may not be familiar with our church to have a glimpse into the lives of a few of its members.
Mormon.org where you can view profiles of actual members of the church and read responses to frequently asked questions. Some profiles are even of people I know. Jordan. Dave.
Check out the NEWS ROOM to read more responses on a variety of subjects that are of interest and may answer questions about policy and practices inside the LDS church. The church is also answering questions in meaningful ways and dealing
with issues in the past that have been a stumbling block for some.Here are some examples:
Questions about polygamy? Check here.
and most recently here.
Questions about the LDS church stance on marriage? Check here.
Questions about same sex marriage? Check it out here.
Questions about women in the church and how they are treated? Here.
Most recently the church has shared information on temple garments and why members of the church who have made sacred promises in the temple wear them. Check here to watch the video and read more information.
My thought is that we should be open and forthright in sharing our past, present and future. The less mystery there is, the more understanding is likely to take place. While we know that everyone won't agree with or support our beliefs or positions, hopefully they will at least come to understand us a little better and extend some grudging respect for what we stand for. There is certainly much available on the internet that is negative about the church and our beliefs, but instead of letting other people define who we are and what we believe, I'm thrilled to see more transparency. I'm a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I'm grateful for the direction church doctrine gives me in my life. I believe in Jesus Christ and I'm trying to be on one of His followers.
2 comments:
What a great post Von- I loved it and agree with every word!
I also agree that we should define ourselves and not let others do it for us. They will not do it right
Post a Comment