Monday, May 19, 2014

Walking for a good cause

On May 10 Andy, Rick and I participated in the annual Elevate 5K walk/run to benefit six families who have someone in their family fighting cancer.  Our community has participated in this event for several years now and it has grown to include thousands of people.  All of the proceeds go to the people who are battling cancer.  The families who benefited this year are listed here.  It was fun to see people we knew and to see all the businesses and organizations that donated to this worthy cause. 
Rick and Andy ran the route and I walked it.  My time was 55.36 which wasn't bad considering I got a new knee three months ago. 


It was a beautiful morning and it was fun to participate.  The annual Susan G. Komen race for the cure was going on in SLC at the same time.  I would have participated in that again this year, but instead decided to stay and contribute in our community. I felt good to be cancer free myself and to walk for those who are in need.  I hope our efforts helped them not only financially, but emotionally to know that many good people are behind them.
Monetary donations and race registrations that are made on behalf of a specific family will be transferred directly to the family. Funds that are not designated for a specific family will be divided between families - See more at: http://elevateutah.com/elevate-5k/about-the-race/#sthash.nWQ20tDh.dpuf

1 comment:

VFR said...

Kudos to you, Vonnie, for doing the walk, and for fighting cancer as you have done. We admire your toughness, your courage, and your non-compalining attitude.